Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Hatteras Winter Boat Use

Did you use that 55 gallons of RV antifreeze up yet?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Did you use that 55 gallons of RV antifreeze up yet?
    Not yet. But.... there's a story there. (Isn't there always.....)

Here's the start of it: https://ladykay.blog/winterizing/
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Based on the responses I can run through the winter here in Tennessee with the following precautions?

1. Install a cut off and drain my cockpit fresh water and raw water washdown system.
    2. Run block heaters in the engine room, which I already do year round.
    3. Plug up air inlets to the engine room.
    4. Run cruisair units for heat and or supplement with the discussed units.
    5. Remove dock water supply and run on boats tanks, which I already do.
    6. Be prepared to run generator and or have a supplemental power supply should I loose shorepower.

What I am missing and or have a flawed plan on?
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

4. Re: Hatteras Winter Boat Use

If you have windshield washers don’t forget to drain them! Trust me.
    You may need a bubbler as some insurance policy require them.
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieclemons View Post
    Based on the responses I can run through the winter here in Tennessee with the following precautions? 1. Install a cut off and drain my cockpit fresh water and raw water washdown system.2. Run block heaters in the engine room, which I already do year round.3. Plug up air inlets to the engine room.4. Run cruisair units for heat and or supplement with the discussed units.5. Remove dock water supply and run on boats tanks, which I already do.6. Be prepared to run generator and or have a supplemental power supply should I loose shorepower.What I am missing and or have a flawed plan on?
    Well it's going to be in the 70s this week so I see the insulation I stuffed in the openings between the ER and Lazarette coming out for a few days along with the tape covering my exhaust fan intakes. So far things have been going pretty good. I have been running the Crusairs on 60 with the block heaters going. I might try running the temp down a little lower. Remote monitoring power, temps, and humidity with a Marcella unit with an extra sensor for ER.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

We have used our boat through the winter for the past 10 years on the Chesapeake. We use Boat Command to monitor the systems while away from the boat. Shore power, two temperature sensors, bilge pumps, and can turn on/off ac/heat remotely. Also nice in the summer to turn on the air before arriving for the weekend. I set parameters to receive notices when there is a problem. It also shows the boats location. Before we leave the boat, the waterlines are blown out with air. A mattress pad heater is also a nice touch.

Eddie, we're in Knoxville and it sounds like you are in good shape. We don't have any water lines in the cockpit. We use a bucket for our washdown when away from the dock just so it's worry free when the seasons change. I spend an hour or less winterizing the freshwater and head system on our center console. Then I put the foam in the ER vents on the 46. Done.

Years ago we had close to 1' of ice in the marina. Block heaters and 1 IR heater in the V berth facing down the passagway kept everything in good shape. Just make sure all of the doors are open and can't close themselves.

We also suffered a power outage during that weather pattern. I loaned out every drop cord I owned. The dock was littered with air cooled generators. It's amazing how many people don't have a plan. I went down to the boat and fired up the Onan. The 2 cruiseairs brought the temp up to the mid 60's pretty quick (with the IR heater and 2 toasty 8-71s).

And, pull out the foam and you're ready for a ride in the snow.

What is "winter" ?
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    Eddie, we're in Knoxville and it sounds like you are in good shape. We don't have any water lines in the cockpit. We use a bucket for our washdown when away from the dock just so it's worry free when the seasons change. I spend an hour or less winterizing the freshwater and head system on our center console. Then I put the foam in the ER vents on the 46. Done.

Years ago we had close to 1' of ice in the marina. Block heaters and 1 IR heater in the V berth facing down the passagway kept everything in good shape. Just make sure all of the doors are open and can't close themselves.

We also suffered a power outage during that weather pattern. I loaned out every drop cord I owned. The dock was littered with air cooled generators. It's amazing how many people don't have a plan. I went down to the boat and fired up the Onan. The 2 cruiseairs brought the temp up to the mid 60's pretty quick (with the IR heater and 2 toasty 8-71s).

And, pull out the foam and you're ready for a ride in the snow.
    So you have a 46c in Knoxville? or?

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    What is "winter" ?
    Our average low is 29, with a record low of -17 in 1985.