Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Hatteras Winter Boat Use

For years everywhere I docked the boat had flat rate power. I always kept everything cranking A/C on snow making mode tower lights cranking all night. After years of this I bought a house in Florida to dock the boat. First power bill was $1500. You don’t realize how much power these things suck until your tied to a meter.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Back in the day. This is very salty water at our summer house in Wildwood Nj. Home of the Howard Johnson clam fleet the Coast guard used to break the ice on a routine basis. Every once in a while the ice would pull out a pole.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Ron, what do you pay per KWH there? We’re 0.16 KWH and one of the highest in SE.
    For the first 747 kw I pay .24 . Anything over that I pay .30.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by RonNP View Post
    For the first 747 kw I pay .24 . Anything over that I pay .30.
    Oh my Goodness. .094 per kWh here.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

We moved our knockabout/liveaboard boat (1968 Chris Craft Commander 42) from DC to a well outside the Swamp in September. We generally used reverse cycle until water temps hit 45°F or so, then went to Rug Buddy radiant floor heaters under carpets and oil-filled heaters. We don't winterize and have taken the boat out for cruises if a warm day comes along. A Christmas Eve cruise up to Georgetown a few years ago was very nice.

And it looks like tomorrow will be sunny and 58°...might fire it up and go have lunch on the hook.

6. Re: Hatteras Winter Boat Use

Quote Originally Posted by boatsb View Post
    theres 2 big cast iron heat generators in the er.

I stayed the night on board after hauling and was surprised it was warm (about 70 inside) when we got down to the low 30's. The next day the engines were still about 100 degrees. I had the center 2 x 2 hatch open and a little fan blowing across it.

I never have winterized my boat in florida but did live aboard a 33 pacemaker (woody) on long island and a pair of small heaters kept the little trunk cabin warm. I also used some old eskimo tricks back then.
    this.

I winter in Mystic for now. My reverse cycle is working pretty well and the current water temp is 43 deg F. It was down to the single digits at night and about low to mid 40 during the day.

I do have the oil heaters on board when/if the water temp gets down below 40. I use 4 on the boat and also have block hetaers on my Detroits.

Not sure about other style Hatteras designs, but my 1976 Hatteras 58 LRC DOES have ablut 1-inch of insulation in the salon area. It is not insulated on the hull. I also have block heaters on the engines and keep my engine room door open.

I also fabricated engine room air intake "plugs" out of 2" home insulation that work well to keep the heat the engine block heaters generate inside the boat.

I have a fixed monthly electric cost for my winter slip as well.

My boat stays more than comfortable in the winter.

Planning this to be my last winter above the Mason Dixson line.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    I have lived aboard year around in Knoxville for nine years. I have taken beautiful cruises in the snow and run the boat whenever I want. The current keeps the water from freezing at my marina. Marinas in a cove will see the water freeze. The reverse cycle heat pumps work well except in the coldest winters when the water temp dips below 40 degrees. Then we have wall and portable heaters and I have a propane heater that I use only under direct supervision. It is true we have single pane windows and no insulation. I can only heat about 40 degrees above outside air temperature, so on those days when it goes down to zero it’s like camping with the Boy Scouts. But we have relatively few of those days here. One of the best improvements I made was block heaters for the Detroits. I can keep the engine rooms as warm as I want. All that said, if it ever dips down to 24 below zero again here, I would consider that an emergency.
    So in Knoxville with block heaters and Reverse air units heating you keep all systems operational or ?
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Single pane windows can easily be augmented with Frost King 2-sided tape and shrink film plastic that keeps the cold on the right side of the living spaces. We use that on our Chris Craft 42 as well as using foam insulation to close off all outside vents during winter. On a recent cold morning, it was 31°F outside and 69°F inside. Even when temps dropped to 15°F, we never got colder than 55. On our Roamer, which is very well insulated, we'll be toasty even if the Green Nude Eel causes global climate to plunge.

Two oil filled radiators and 2 heat pumps are keeping us 68-70 and warmer in the salon. OAT in the high 20's at times. Water temp 40ºF Slowly winterizing as I need to be able to stray more than two hours away and not risk damage if we get a real cold spell. Middle Chesapeake.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay