Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras Winter Boat Use

For those of you that live in freeze areas what temperatures would be comfortable in using your boat off slip/dock? Here in Tennessee we saw temperatures in the 60s and I heard several people wishing their vessel wasn't winterized. Our average low is 29, with a record low of -17 in 1985.

How well does reverse heat Cruisair units work when water temps dip into the 40s? What supplemental heating do you use if needed?

I guess my question is who uses their Hatteras in cold weather and what precautions are taken? What are your temperature ranges for use?

Thanks for any and all responses.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

Re: Hatteras Winter Boat Use

The only info that I can provide is about the reverse cycle ac's. They don't provide much heat together with the fact that most boats aren't insulated that well. It makes for a pretty miserable place to live. The docks can also be slick which makes getting off and on the boat pretty exciting. I think your best bet for heat would be some type of diesel fired heat units.

Theres 2 big cast iron heat generators in the ER.

I stayed the night on board after hauling and was surprised it was warm (about 70 inside) when we got down to the low 30's. The next day the engines were still about 100 degrees. I had the center 2 x 2 hatch open and a little fan blowing across it.

I never have winterized my boat in Florida but did live aboard a 33 pacemaker (woody) on long island and a paIr of small heaters kept the little trunk cabin warm. I also used some old eskimo tricks back then.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If you were considering using your ac units as heat pumps then you are not against running your generator when away from shore power. On that case consider a couple of these oil filled radiator heaters. DeLonghi Oil-Filled Radiator Space Heater, Quiet 1500W, Adjustable Thermostat, 3 Heat Settings, Energy Saving, Safety Features, Nice for Home with Pets/Kids, Light Gray, Comfort Temp EW7707CM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TGDGLU..._yLkeEbMEEPV5M
    We have one and it has heated both house and boat got many years.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I have lived aboard year around in Knoxville for nine years. I have taken beautiful cruises in the snow and run the boat whenever I want. The current keeps the water from freezing at my marina. Marinas in a cove will see the water freeze.

The reverse cycle heat pumps work well except in the coldest winters when the water temp dips below 40 degrees. Then we have wall and portable heaters and I have a propane heater that I use only under direct supervision. It is true we have single pane windows and no insulation. I can only heat about 40 degrees above outside air temperature, so on those days when it goes down to zero it’s like camping with the Boy Scouts. But we have relatively few of those days here.

One of the best improvements I made was block heaters for the Detroits. I can keep the engine rooms as warm as I want. All that said, if it ever dips down to 24 below zero again here, I would consider that an emergency.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

We bought our boat in St Charles MO and I stayed on it a couple nights in late October and the weather was in the 40's, not sure how cold the river was though. But the Cruisair units kept us toasty.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

We recently returned to Seattle for some birthdays and the holidays and stayed aboard. I was pleasantly surprised that the boat was comfortable with just the use of the Cruisaire in the v-berth/galley which also kept the salon comfortable during mid 30's night time and mid 40's daytime temps. At night just before we turned in, I'd run the Cruisaire for the master cabin for less than an hour to bring the temp up. Heat didn't reach that part of the boat from the galley so without heating would be in the high 50's to low 60's. I don't know what the water temp was in Lake Union at the time. We have 5 Cruisaire units so I think I could turn the boat into a sauna if I wanted...

Bob
    Bob Leland
    1980 58' Yachtfish Hull#473
    Seattle,Wa / Phoenix, Az

Realizing we are in Florida, but I promise it still does get cold here in Pensacola. I have 3 of the oil filled radiator space heaters like posted above. Mine are a different brand, but they are all the same. We do not winterize as there are usually only a couple of days a year capable of damage.

I keep one heater in the ER between the engines. I keep this one on mid-power and thermostat lower than 50% (I think it's about 65ish).

This Heater keeps the engines warm and condensation free, which is nice. They also keep the salon/galley floor nice and warm. I then have one heater in the master head, up on the counter and the third in the bow cabin, on the shelf as well.

Imo, the oil radiators seem to be about the safest option but all combustible materials are kept far away from them. Whatever shelf or floor they are sitting on is cleared out completely and cleaned well before use.

If it's just the wife and I we move the heater from the bow cabin, shut the doors to bow and port and put the heater in the salon. These three heaters keep the boat very comfortable and don't seem to work very hard doing it.

We do have ice/frost on the dock and boat deck at times, it will be there when you don't expect it, so use caution and test areas with your toe before taking a step. On days that are icy/frosty we generally just stay on the boat til it burns off, usually around 9 or 10.

I have arrived at the boat late at night with a frosty/frozen dock several times in the past and that is a bit sketchy. I usually just go really slow and cautious and get on/off as little as possible.

I only keep these heaters for a year or two, if they show any signs of rust/corrosion...etc at the end of the season they go in the trash. Every fall I have to purchase one or two new.

I do use the cruisairs when away from the dock in the winter, they will run you out of the boat. The space heaters are just less hassle, and probably more efficient while at the dock.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I have a 1981 60' motoryacht and live aboard full time here in San Rafael CA. The winters can get cold with temps at night dipping into the 40s and sometimes even the 30's but mostly in the middle and low 50's.
    I use the oil based radiators and they work just fine except that my monthly utility bill hovers around $200 or more when I run three of them- one upstairs in the salon and one in the aft berth and one in the hallway down below because as soon as I leave my aft berth my testicles go north in a New York minute. (At my age it's not that big of a deal but I'm just sayin'...)

There are many cold zones on the boat. I have 5 or more cruisair heaters but they don't seem to work very well and the noise of air blowing all night isn't the greatest.
    Here's my questions:
    1) In your experience is running the crusair heater less expensive ( Assuming shore power) than multiple oil radiator type heaters( assuming 3 at a time for approx 17 hours a day ( say 5 p.m when the sun goes down until approx. 10 am the next morning when it warms up naturally due to the sun)?
    2) The water temp hovers around 55 degrees here in the winter- how efficient are the Crusair heaters?
    3) If I try to add more than 2 heaters on any circuit it blows/pops the circuit (30amps) any suggestions?

4) Any thoughts on the purchase of a diesel heater? I could probably survive the low constant din of the engine).

Many thanks,

Ian
    Last edited by Ianpaul; 12-30-2020 at 06:21 PM.

I think the cruisair (and heat pumps in general) are cheaper than resistive (electric) heat and fuel based heat. In the winter, I use space heaters (just the normal ones) often, not to save money, but because they are quieter, the cuisairs are over kill, and to avoid wear and tear on my 40 year old cruisair units. And we don't need them enough to matter much with our electric bills. If you add the cost of replacing a cruisair unit, then they are much more expensive.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL