Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Engine removal 1990 Hatteras 52C

Hello users,

We own a Hatteras 52C, based in Geraldton Australia and need to rebuild the port engine (original 8V92). Given we are rebuilding the port engine, we will also remove the starboard engine and check it over.

Does someone have some photos of the removal process, as there are not too many 52C's down under.

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Engine removal 1990 Hatteras 52C

I know for a fact in a 1982 46 they make it through the salon door. Stripped down of course and then re assembled back inside.

Re: Engine removal 1990 Hatteras 52C

I'm your guy haha! We purchased our boat with the engines out, the boatyard had removed the engines and prepped the ER. Thankfully they documented the entire process with pics so I have probably a thousand pics of engine removal. We also took pics on re-install.

In a nutshell, the salon window is removed, salon door removed.

3 Cuts are made to salon aft wall.
    - one at head level from the window to the door
    - one from the bottom of the window to the ER hatch
    - one along the floor, low on the aft salon wall from the door frame to the second vertical cut

Use a fine blade saw when making these cuts. Once put back together you can hardly tell it was ever out, the only visible signs of our r&r is a couple of seams in the afromasia.

PM me your contact info and I'll send you the pics

If you've got them both out, go with a full rebuild on both. If one is tired the other isn't far behind.

If you've got a pile of cash laying around I'd really like to know the performance numbers on these boats with a couple of 1,000hp+ MTU's stuffed in them, wonder how much top end the 52 would gain with loosing some weight and adding 800hp?
    Last edited by rustybucket; 01-03-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL