Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Oil changer set up

Back in 08 and 09, I did a 40 gallons oil change on a pair of 3412Es, plus 5 gal for the gens, on a mooring in Newport RI, with all 9 pails alongside in the tender. I don’t think I s get away with this nowadays.

Didn’t spill a drop... but nowadays I d have that Grit’Ah girl flying over head on a broomstick calling for back up
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

As promised here’s a photograph of my oil changing set up. Port engine near the floor on the port side of the hall. This will pull the oil from both engines and the generator.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Here is a photo of the oil pump out tube on my port engine (8V71TI).
    Port side, It is located just under the starter where the starter bolts to the bell housing.
    On the starboard side it is also on the outboard side of the engine down low same orientation as port near the bell housing.
    It is part of a flange that bolts to the side of the oil pan.
    The plug/cap just pushes in and has a spring loaded ball to hold it in the hose barb detent.
    Very confident that it is original to the boat and installed by Detroit and not an after market deal.
    When I first used it I was skeptical that it allowed to pump out all the oil but after pumping the oil out with this access port. I took a flexible snake down the dip stick tube to the bottom of the pan and there was basically no measurable amount of oil left.
    It is pretty convenient, just push a hose on the tube and connect to the pump.
    I change the oil while it is pretty warm and it takes no time to pump out the block.

8v71_oil pumpout tube.jpg
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Thanks for all the pics Tim. I hope I have the tubes as it would make my install so easy. I was thinking of using 1/2 inch id hose but I'm sure 3/8 is plenty for some warm 40wt. I plan on putting all the valves and such together at home to make things even easier. This will be my third season of ownership and I have barely touched my todo list so hopefully this year I can scratch a few things off that list.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.