Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil changer set up

I'm looking for some info. I want to setup a oil change system. I would like to plumb it from the oil pan but don't know what size etc connections the oil pan takes. I will be plumbing it for both 871's and would like to have it drain thru the air inlet to a dockside 5gal buckets so I'm not hauling used oil thru my boat. I will rig up a manifold with valves and mount in a semi permanent location in one ER. What size and type hose should I use ? Is there a better spot to tap into besides oil pan? Pics of your setup would help me to visualize. Thanks in advance
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Re: Oil changer set up

That’s seems like a good idea, however my fear would be the excess oil that is left in that tube going from the bottom of your engine up and out of the airbox and down onto the dock. Doesn’t your boat already come equipped with a oil pump out?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

How many hours do you run a year?

I just cant see all the plumbing and trouble to not carry a few 5 gal pails every year or so.

I have a pump that fill my pails and then I wipe them down with bilge diapers and carry them off the boat. Not a big mess. Not a big issue.

If I was doing 4 or 5 oil changes a year on a boat I may look for different way but NJ seriously I dont see a benefit here.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Nope it didn't have one. I would also use the discharge hose to refill from dockside as well.

I’ll send you photos of mine tomorrow. It’s plumbed to drain the generator as well.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I agree with Scott.

I have a handy fuel manifold set up for draining the engines, generator and transmission sumps hooked up to a fuel/oil transfer pump. They get pumped into 5 gallon buckets with lids on them that tighten.

Then I carry them off of the boat.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Can you even reach the drain plugs with the engines in place?

The hose size will be function of the pump you use.

I installed a Reverso system on my 53 when I repowered last year. It has a manifold.

On smaller engines bringing in a pail per engine is no big deal but you could indeed run the hose thru the vent to the dock. If you do though you need to run wires for an on off switch for the pump. I used to do it that way in a 70 footer with 3412Es which use 4 pails per engine. It was worth it but it for one.

If you do make sure you place a big pan under the pails on the dock just in case.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

On my 1979 53' MY with 8V71 engines there is a dedicated pump out tube on the outboard side of each engine from the factory. It goes into the oil pan on the side almost at the bottom of the pan. The tube is about a 7/16" OD with a bulge on it like a hose barb. When not used it has a plug with an O-ring on it to cap it off. It is down low and looks like a super short dip stick tube. It only comes up a little higher than the bottom of the block. I find it to be very convenient to push a hose on it to pump out the oil. If someone wants a photo of the pump out tube I will take one and post it.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Just be careful,

I saw a boater do just that here in Daytona. Got his ass jumped by the dock master. Said all transfers had to be done inside boat in case of any spillage. Wanted it contained in the vessel, no chance of spillage on docks, contaminating wood or concrete, or spilling thru cracks into water.

Does sound like a good idea though.

Tim
    Fish Tales
    65c

Yeah I wouldn't want to start a superfund site at my marina. Pascal I have yet to verify access to the drain plug I figured those here have it connected there and would be the best place to drain from. When I get back,to my boat in march I'll also look for the tube kptim mentioned.