Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ford Lehman engines in a Hatteras

I’m looking at a 1976 48LRC. It is equipped with Ford Lehman 120’s. This is the only Hatteras I have seen with these engines. Was this an option or was this done custom?

thanks
    DD

Re: Ford Lehman engines in a Hatteras

The standard engine in the 48 would be 4-71, the lemans are the sam HP and likely muck quieter.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Great engines, will last forever, simple and easy to maintain. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

All except one 48LRC came with 4-53 Detroit’s
    Curt

That is correct, the 4-71s are 137 HP.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

The Lehmans are a great trawler engine. They are in thousands of boats and very reliable. They might weigh a bit less than the Detroits as well, not that it makes much difference in a trawler-type boat. I think parts are easily available and it's not hard to find people to work on them.

7. Re: Ford Lehman engines in a Hatteras

Lemans were used in Grand Banks for many many years. They leak a bit but nothing like Detroit’s. You might find good info by googling Grand Banks.

Ford Lehman diesels were that rare animal that they really got right in both design and execution.
    They were too reliable and dependable. Very little built in redundancy, and therefore they generated little in the way of the sale of spare parts. So they discontinued them.
    If properly maintained they will outlast the boat they are in.

Check out American Diesel they are the big Lehman parts people, the owner just passed away but the business is still operating. They ship parts all over. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Before my first Hatteras I had a 36 Island Gypsy trawler with twin Lehman 120's. Great engines. American Diesel is a great company to deal with. The 120's started life as bus engines.
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY