Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The New River is really something!

We just took our first trip up the New River in Fort Lauderdale yesterday morning and boy was it an adventure! I had no idea it was so narrow, nor that there were so many sizable boats moored on both sides. We went up to just past the Interstate 95 bridge where we will stay for a week or so, fortunately it opened up considerably once we passed the last bridge.
    Regarding the bridges: we have never seen such capable and competent operators as well as such fast opening spans. That’s a good thing since I wouldn’t have wanted to loiter there for long in any sort of current. Luckily it was slack water at high tide when we passed through. Also it was sheer luck that we met that 100’+ outbound motor yacht at a wide point in the River, I wouldn’t want to have been transiting the near 180 degree turn and see him coming the other way.
    All the professional mariners and the bridge masters were constantly on the VHF keeping everyone appraised of their direction and usually location, but not size or beam, which helped us a lot.
    The funny part was that most of the lower River reminded me of nothing so much as the Jungle Boat Cruise at Disneyland! All except the lack of a charging hippo.....
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: The New River is really something!

It's not for the faint of heart - for sure! Get some current, a bunch of small boats, a few larger one's and then the "Jungle Queen" shows up!
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I met the Jungle Queen that was sideways in the outgoing current, and coming at my little 37’ Nordic Tug I delivered for the boat show a few years ago. Luckily I had room to duck in behind a big motor yacht that would have deflected it.

It was interesting watching the larger yachts being towed, bow and stern, down the river. It’s definitely unnerving running that close to so many high dollar boats with only one engine... even for me in a boat that’s only supposed to have one functioning engine.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I live on the 28th floor of the high rise in front of the “Carrie B” and get such a kick out watching the pros and none pros operate around the towed large boats. Sorry I missed seeing your 67’ go by.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

The first time up that river is always a trip.

My first was right after I bought my 63. Plenty of pucker moments including meeting the Jungle Queen, Missing the curve under the 95 bridge and navigating the hairpin curve just as the Peterson oil barge come careening around the corner.

Good times on the New River.

BTDT with the Jungle Queen. He came ripping around the bend North Bound to the 3rd avenue bridge while we were leaving the dock. We had no idea he was coming because for one reason or another I can't seem to visualize boats that are around corners.
    Pulled right up to our port side with the bow. I just looked at the captain, and waited for him to provide some room.
    Regards
    Dan

Different river and just as busy: Miami River. Big cargo ships coming in and out...

Couple of years ago when we towed the Hatt to the yard for the repower we met one of these monsters at a bend. I was driving a skiff as hip tow with naomi driving a 15’ rib with a tow line at the stern to steer the hatt... not fun !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just north of the New River is the sharp bend across from Bahia Mar. Blind corner where the channel constricts.

Was taking some friends on a night cruise to see the holiday lights when this Mega-mega starts making the turn. Fortunately, the Captain knew to give 1 long blast prior to the turn. I watched in amazement as this boat kept getting bigger and bigger as it emerged from the blind side. Must have been 200'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Different river and just as busy: Miami River. Big cargo ships coming in and out...

Couple of years ago when we towed the Hatt to the yard for the repower we met one of these monsters at a bend. I was driving a skiff as hip tow with naomi driving a 15’ rib with a tow line at the stern to steer the hatt... not fun !
    You towed it? I thought you had one running 8v71.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

the AIS receivers built into the new chartplotters would certainly help with awareness in an area like that.
    I rode on a center console recently with such a system, and was amazed. very much like adsb in aviation.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750