Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bilge and Deck Questions

Hello! First time boat owner. 1987 40’ Hatteras MY. Amazing boat but as a first timer, couple of maintenance questions for the seasoned owners.1. Forward bilge collects water from 2 holes on each side of bilge (pictures included). I can not determine from the manual what these are from or if they are normal for whatever reason. 2. Swim ladder deck screws are no longer catching into the fiberglass. What’s the best way to attach? Sealant? Or re-glass the area? Lastly, we are in Clearwater, FL so if you want to suggest any maintenance techs/mates or service vendors, that would be great. Looking to do our first bottom job end of January at Mar Marina in Tarpon Springs.

Re: Bilge and Deck Questions

Here’s the deck issue.Thanks in advance for your time. Looking forward to new adventures!
    Attached Images

Where in Clearwater? Be there tomorrow for new year’s. If close by I can maybe take a look.

FYI not an “ex-purt”. Just a longtime owner and enthusiast. But like Farmers, I have seen a thing or two!

Quote Originally Posted by hattieice View Post
    Here’s the deck issue.Thanks in advance for your time. Looking forward to new adventures!
    Pull the screws an re-bed with 4200 sealant. Or fill with epoxy if core is dry and drill and tap for new screws.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by hattieice View Post
    Hello! First time boat owner. 1987 40’ Hatteras MY. Amazing boat but as a first timer, couple of maintenance questions for the seasoned owners.1. Forward bilge collects water from 2 holes on each side of bilge (pictures included). I can not determine from the manual what these are from or if they are normal for whatever reason. 2. Swim ladder deck screws are no longer catching into the fiberglass. What’s the best way to attach? Sealant? Or re-glass the area? Lastly, we are in Clearwater, FL so if you want to suggest any maintenance techs/mates or service vendors, that would be great. Looking to do our first bottom job end of January at Mar Marina in Tarpon Springs.
    Hard to tell from the photos, however they are most likely limber holes Which drain from the back of the boat to the front of the boat. The water drains to the lowest point in the boat which allows the bilge pump to pump out the water. Your concern should be where the waters coming from. Look on the shelf logs runner logs and water fittings and try to track that down. “I may not have the spelling of those holes correct”
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I’m a bit concerned with the color of the bilge. Is that rusty water or just dirty water?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I’m a bit concerned with the color of the bilge. Is that rusty water or just dirty water?
    I am pretty sure that is just the fiberglass with paint removed not actually standing water.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    Where in Clearwater? Be there tomorrow for new year’s. If close by I can maybe take a look.FYI not an “ex-purt”. Just a longtime owner and enthusiast. But like Farmers, I have seen a thing or two!
    Thank you for the generous offer of your time. I am currently out of town as well. So I will not be in Clearwater. Thanks for the offer. Super nice of you!

That’s just the color of the fiberglass in the bilge. However, the water is consistent to about the top of the hose and has a slow trickle from those holes. I will follow the advice further down and see if I can backtrack the plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Hard to tell from the photos, however they are most likely limber holes Which drain from the back of the boat to the front of the boat. The water drains to the lowest point in the boat which allows the bilge pump to pump out the water. Your concern should be where the waters coming from. Look on the shelf logs runner logs and water fittings and try to track that down. “I may not have the spelling of those holes correct”
    Thank you for the info! That’s super helpful. I will dig back through the manual and see if I can track it. I’m wondering if it’s something that can come from the freshwater holding tank. Seems that there is minimal pressure to the faucets even after a fill up. I need to spend a day in the engine room to check it out.Thank you,