Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Planing off with Detroits

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    So with tabs down and synchronizer on I slowly and progressively applied throttle just enough that slave was not lagging the lead. At about 13 smph both turbos kicked in closer than I was ever able to get them to. Planed off effortlessly other that short turbo lag 1400 just under 1500 RPM. Worked great. Still disengage synchronizer to drop off plane.

Yes, I know I am overthinking some of this but for me better to underthink and screw up.

Thanks for all suggestions.
    Negatory. Do not engage synchronizer until both motors are well up to speed or the master will be doing most of the pulling with the slave lagging. You want them both churning. I work the throttles up in sort of a wrist twisting motion. But that's just a personal thing. No reason to disengage sync slowing down; it'll come off plane straighter synced.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Don't be afraid to go to WOT. These engines were designed to do that. But, as stated, don't horse them up there too quickly.
    Haven't been on here in a while. I have owned my old 1972 43' DCFB, since 1997, which I view as very reliable. They are non-turbo 6-71N's, 310hp and original, with full 50#'s oil pressure above 900 rpm, as a function of the lift off valve; right engine in -framed in 1995 and they have 2,400 hrs.

My suggestion/policy is to allow them to run at 11-1,400 rpm, until their temperatures come up, i.e. at hull speed. Any internal combustion engine should near full temperature, before heavy loading, to ensure internal clearances are stable. Once temps are up, don't slam the throttles to wide open, but bring up rpm's to allow 10-15 secs to reach full throttle. When on-plane, set the trim tabs to level out. Finally, engage syncros.

My 2cw.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post

My suggestion/policy is to allow them to run at 11-1,400 rpm, until their temperatures come up, i.e. at hull speed. Any internal combustion engine should near full temperature, before heavy loading, to ensure internal clearances are stable. Once temps are up, don't slam the throttles to wide open, but bring up rpm's to allow 10-15 secs to reach full throttle. When on-plane, set the trim tabs to level out. Finally, engage syncros.

My 2cw.
    Spartonboat,

I'l take your advice!!

I do not have synchronizers so instead I listen for (and can almost feel) the humming of the engines like a slow Wha...Wha...Wha as I am looking at both Tachs. Your thoughts please.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia