Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Planing off with Detroits

My 34 with 270HP Cummins planes off very easily by progressively increasing throttle. No need for full throttle.

I had a 46 Bertram years ago with 435HP DD's that was a bit underpowered. The only way to plane off was full throttle until turbo's spooled up and then back off throttles.

Bought Dave's 46 HP with 650HP 8-92's. Clearly not underpowered (except by todays need for mega HP). Still needs a lot of throttle until turbos spool up, just like the 8-71's. Guessing this is normal due to size of turbos. Not getting boost until around 1500 RPM.

My question is what is the proper way to plane off. Should I just go full throttle and back off as soon as they make boost/power? Or is 3/4 throttle good and just wait a little longer? Just feels weird waiting to get over the hump.

Thanks for any responses.

Re: Planing off with Detroits

Are the trim tabs working?
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

In my case with 1271Ti’s, I work the throttles up gradually (+\- 5 to 8 secs) so as not to over-fuel. As the bow starts to come down, I engage the synchronizer and pull the master back to a mark I scribed on the control head that will produce 1,800 RPM when the power stabilizes. RPM reaches 2,050 or so before settling back and well on plane. Fuel flow then stabilizes at 26.5 to 28.5 GPH X 2 for 18.5 knots. Aslan always runs most efficiently with full tab. No doubt that gets her up faster.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The 34 is 19k lbs and a large flat stern so no comparison .

Detroits will take time to spool and make power I'm not sure the full throttle position while it's coming up will do any damage. It's not like their cold and their not making all that power as the crank up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Tabs work fine. Other than leave in position for best cruise while in use I have never tried putting them down further to plane off. Sounds like maybe that is something I should be doing. Using the boat tomorrow. Will pay close attention to actual throttle positions as I run her up. Maybe I am babying it too much and not giving enough initial throttle. Not smoking or any other issues. Probably just me.

On most boats you need full tabs down to get on plane quicker. Then once there gradually retract to reduce drag and increase speed until speed peaks

From hull speed I always increase power gradually about 100 rpm every 5 seconds till whatever RPM it takes to get the boat up on plane and to the target speed. Less stress on the drivetrain, no cavitation. If the boat is underpowered you may need to push the throttles further and then back off
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I am used to the 34 which needs zero tab to plane off or run at best speed. The only tine I ever use tabs on the 34 is to level out or get bow down along with slowing down for very choppy water. Will try tabs down tomorrow.

On my 46 with 871 TI's I gradually increase power till I get to 1950 or so and engage synchronizer and then pull back a little to my cruise rpm. I always use full tabs until on plane and set at proper rpm.
    Jason
    Orange Beach, AL
    1984 46C