Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Postcard inn islamorada

Draw 5’ and would like to stop at the postcard inn for a few days. Do I have to come in at peak high tide to get in unscathed? Thanks or your time.

2. Re: Postcard inn islamorada

The only iffy area is at the entrance to the Whale Harbor channel. I’d try on rising tide, but don’t think you need to wait for peak. The key is to avoid the shoals that line the channel seaward of the first two daymarks. To do that you need relatively calm seas more than a specific tide.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Postcard inn islamorada

As mentioned above, the entrance to the channel is the only shallow spot but it is all sand. With a 5' draft if you enter at low tide you "could" bump the bottom but only for a few yards. I've come in at low tide and I just bump the motors in and out of gear, watch the depth finder and try to drift over the really shallow spot. Once you clear it though it gets deep again quickly and your good to go from there on in. Worst case you just polish the tips a little. At low tide I've felt the props drag and other times they didn't. So I'm not sure if that's because I was a little left or a little right of where i bumped, or if the shoal just wasn't as high that day.

Tony

Re: Postcard inn islamorada

Thank us both for the feedback. I went to marat8hon this time to get me to Naples to beat e front. I will try it this summer or sure.