Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Yet another Cruisair question

Unit short cycles for seconds, then quits; repeats a few times after short period, then I Hi PS code on SMX Display. (CruisAir FN7C-P)
    - confirmed water flow through unit (unit quits after few seconds, not typical of no/low water flow).
    - tried tapping on reversing valve.
    - other units on that cooling pump manifold are fine

Any thoughts on low lying fruit?

Brett

Re: Yet another Cruisair question

Have you cleaned the dust filter on the air handler recently?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

A bad high Pressure switch will do that. Gauges will help you figure it out.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I had a similar issue with one unit and I took the chance and made a bypass with a short piece of wire with the proper connections. That proved the the HP switch was bad. Once again you are taking away a safety feature so try at your own risk.

Be certain that the unit in question has good water flow through it, not just the output of the manifold serving all of the units on that pump. Lack of cooling through the heat exchanger would cause high pressure but probably not high enough to trip the HP switch that fast.

There can be a restriction in the refrigerant circuit causing actual high pressure. Do you here the reversing valve cycle at the beginning of start up? Is there a filter dryer anywhere in the high pressure liquid line? If there is a restriction then running it in heat mode and then back to cool will sometimes open up the restriction at least long enough to convince you that this is the problem.

It can be a faulty HP switch or the associated wiring and connectors. As mentioned, The definitive test is to have someone qualified watch the pressures with a set of gauges as this is happening. If there is no actual high pressure in the liquid line then its most likely the switch.

A safer way to evaluate the switch without gauges is to swap with a know good transducer and see if the problem follows that switch.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 12-26-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I have a spare switch on board. Can I do this without evacuating the system? If se, any “tricks” that a novice should know?

It looks like the switch screws into a Schrader type valve that should self seal....

Brett

I am not familiar with every model of Cruisair condensing units but it should screw into a schrader valve. Just assume its going to leak and protect the port and you as you unscrew the switch to be safe.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Have you actually pulled the discharge hose in a bucket and confirmed flow to that unit? I have had the same issue over the years where only one condenser would short cycle and it turned out to be a shell blocking flow. Others on the same pump where fine.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I agree with Pascal. I had the same thing happen. But, I think the unit is low on freon.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Low refrigerant will cause a shutdown with a low pressure alarm not high pressure as the OP is experiencing.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's