Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small Projects

Re: Small Projects

Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

The original bilge paint on my Hatt was Gray. PO painted some areas in white. Except for the ER, I'm going back Gray. White makes sense in the ER because it makes fluid leaks easier to see. IMHO. Fixing little things make a big difference. I'm about 20 miles from my boat (used to be across the street, but my air draft is too tall now), but I always try to fix or improve something every time I'm on board, in addition to ongoing projects.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    That just shows you’re paying attention. I always start out on a particular mission only to get waylaid by what gets uncovered. When in doubt, paint over it.
    PAINT I have plenty to remove already

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
    Taking out the trash is about the only one that I can count on to be done in a timely fashion...
    Not me. You see it's in the garage, and you walk past the table with the tools that have to go to the workshop, the empty plastic containers that need sorting, oh wait the XM radio is off, and that freezer is right under the hatch in the ceiling where I'm going to go up and build the mother of all walk in closets.... boy I really need to fix the fuel system on that Land Rover, oh wait.... the Elliptigo it's a nice day I should go ride it.... what the (^%*$ are we gonna do with all those skis..... getting to old for that stuff..... wait THAT's where the carpet cleaner is.......

Trash? What trash?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I am refinishing all the interior wood on my 41 Hatteras dc. I am trying to get a shiny finish without having to varnish, I used Howards restorer and cleaner followed by the carabu wax they sell. The inside of a door came out great but then faded dull the next day, I put a second coat and the same thing happened. If you tell me I have to put three or four coats, I just as soon prep and varnish one or two coats. I have done this to my last two boats and the finsh with varnish stays shiny and clean looking, just windex to clean. But it's a lot of work. Any thoughts for a easy shiny long lasting finish ?

We are having a similar problem. There are water stains under the windows. We've been cleaning the finish off with green Scotch Brite pads and denatured alcohol and applying Jel'd Poly Kote with a rag and it's just not working well at all. The water stains are whitish. Stain turned them black. The finish isn't very good and the process is tedious and takes forever. There must be a better way.

Interior Wood.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Not me. You see it's in the garage, and you walk past the table with the tools that have to go to the workshop, the empty plastic containers that need sorting, oh wait the XM radio is off, and that freezer is right under the hatch in the ceiling where I'm going to go up and build the mother of all walk in closets.... boy I really need to fix the fuel system on that Land Rover, oh wait.... the Elliptigo it's a nice day I should go ride it.... what the (^%*$ are we gonna do with all those skis..... getting to old for that stuff..... wait THAT's where the carpet cleaner is.......

Trash? What trash?
    Too damn funny!!
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    The original bilge paint on my Hatt was Gray. PO painted some areas in white. Except for the ER, I'm going back Gray. White makes sense in the ER because it makes fluid leaks easier to see. IMHO. Fixing little things make a big difference. I'm about 20 miles from my boat (used to be across the street, but my air draft is too tall now), but I always try to fix or improve something every time I'm on board, in addition to ongoing projects.
    Gotta get a routine. Start projects on Thursday and figure out that you just created three more--at least. Finish what you can and head home Sunday. Order parts on Monday. Fabricate what you can in the shop on Tuesday and Wednesday. Head to boat on Thursday and repeat.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Gotta get a routine. Start projects on Thursday and figure out that you just created three more--at least. Finish what you can and head home Sunday. Order parts on Monday. Fabricate what you can in the shop on Tuesday and Wednesday. Head to boat on Thursday and repeat.
    That sounds about right. A veteran boater friend of mine calls it a "think & do" project. I know I'm thinking about it all the time.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    We are having a similar problem. There are water stains under the windows. We've been cleaning the finish off with green Scotch Brite pads and denatured alcohol and applying Jel'd Poly Kote with a rag and it's just not working well at all. The water stains are whitish. Stain turned them black. The finish isn't very good and the process is tedious and takes forever. There must be a better way.

Attachment 38157
    Following last season replaced glass on both sides, have some of the same to deal with.