Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Source for Spray Rails

I could not find any newer posts on Spray Rails. What do the assembled experts think is the best resource for replacement spray rails? Mine are 15' over all long. any ideas?
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Re: Source for Spray Rails

If your talking spray rails (quarter fenders)....just above the waterline, aft on each side? Check Broadus Rose @Lookout Boat Windows, he has an ad on the left column of this website. I’ll try to dig up some of the pics from his install on my 58’
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

These were as the new rails were being installed. I was able to salvage the original stainless rubrail edge and have it polished before Broadus’s guys reinstalled it.
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

I purchased pvc extruded rails called 'smart rails' for our boat, not sure if that company is still around or not. Although they work, in hind sight I'd just make some out of glass.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Aft they are not spray rail although the may act as one. The real purpose aft is to hold the boat off of fender tied up as the oldies but goodies don't have a hull flair like newer boats so the rub rail where cap hits hull holds boat far away enough from growth on pilings.

Ask me how I know. Hint! It's not because I am smart! Removed them on my 34 and paid the price a couple times. They will stay on the 46 and first time they need service will be replaced with overbuilt ones about 1" wider.

I had a temporary PVC one on my boat until I could get solid FRP ones from Slane Marine. PVC is okay for temporary. I agree FRP is better.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I had a temporary PVC one on my boat until I could get solid FRP ones from Slane Marine. PVC is okay for temporary. I agree FRP is better.
    We struck something offshore and cracked/ripped off part of one of our bow pvc spray rails.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Are the FRP ones solid or cored with something?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I've done a few boats with the PVC and no issues. Its strong enough to fend off poles and pilings and will never rot.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I found that paint doesn't stick to it. Even AG doesn't stick to it.