Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do I need an onboard generator?

I know this might be a stupid question, but I'm seriously considering yanking the old genset, so I figured I'd ask it. Do I really need the onboard generator?

I'm finding some of the parts for our '86 Gas Onan 8kw generator extremely hard to find. The PO had pulled some of the water pump components, and never replaced them. From the searches I've done online some of the parts are "unavailable". Being that the gen hasn't been started in 5-6, maybe 7 years, all the searching and expense to get it right, may be for nothing in the long run anyways...

We're in upstate NY, so the AC will mainly be running when plugged in to shore power, and I honestly cant imagine needing it while running or fishing on Lake Ontario. I can think of another reason why I would need the generator, while we're away from the dock. So, I'm thinking of just pulling it out and using the space for a perfect spot for tool chest and storage.

If we decided to stay out for a night or so, I could through a portable inverter generator on the swim platform and power everything thats needed, even AC I'd think with a 3500 watt unit. We powered everything but the AC on the trip home with her, using just a 2000 watt inverter, and worked perfectly.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. Crazy thought or great spot for tool box?

Re: Do I need an onboard generator?

I don't know about crazy, but a better choice would be to replace the Onan with a decent size gasoline generator set. You should be able to find a good used takeout set in Boats & Harbors, or even on eBay. In particular, if you can find a Westerbeke gasoline set, they are quite good. Not many of the major genset companies still make or support gas sets. Westerbeke still do.

I had an F-36 Trojan a long time ago with 454s. Loved the simplicity and reliability of that boat. I ran it around everywhere.

The genset was located under the cockpit and was a rust-bucket. So, when I put in a new pancake fuel tank under the cockpit (to replace 4 galvanized tanks), I threw the genset away. BUT, you have to have an alternative source of power on trips. If you run the batts dry, you're kinda screwed.

So, I kept one of those Honda 2k portable generators onboard with a plug which allowed me to connect it to shore power. If we ever got stuck, I had that to recharge and get 'em started. Plus, we ended up using it all the time camping on the beach and for non-boating stuff.

Just be very careful of carbon monoxide from it. I only used it a couple times on the boat, mostly just to run the genny once in awhile. But I'd tether it on the dive platform (like you did) and be wary of whether the wind was blowing it into the cabin.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...SABEgKr1vD_BwE
    Last edited by JuiceClark; 02-15-2021 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post

The genset was located under the cockpit and was a rust-bucket. So, when I put in a new pancake fuel tank under the cockpit (to replace 4 galvanized tanks), I threw the genset away. BUT, you have to have a source of power underway. If you run the batts dry, you're kinda screwed.
    Underway the engines will charge the batteries so I don’t see the issue.

When anchored, you should have enough at least two banks, one to start, and one for house loads so you always have a way of starting the engines

To reply to the original post, no you don’t have to have a generator on board. Having a decent size house bank with an inverter can be an alternative up north. The inverter won’t power the AC or a stove but it will power electronics, a coffee maker and a microwave if the battery bank is big enough.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I got a great used takeout Westerbeke 8KW diesel for only $3500 and it has been perfect. I replaced it while also replacing a CAT 3116 engine. The cost of yard and mechanics time must be considered. You can always take the generator out a part at a time. I live in Texas and need the generator for air conditioning. Taking the generator out will give you extra space for batteries and better access to get to the main engines.

David Smith
    Hatteras 36

Can’t use a diesel genset in a gas boat unless installed in a compartment that’s completely isolated from the gas engines and gas tank. Unless you can verify the diesel genset is ignition proof which is unlikely
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

A honda or WEN/Harbor freight 2000 (now they have 2200) inverter generator will likely start up your A/C units IF you install the microair easy start. Search on youtube for demonstrations.

I can start and run either my 12,000 or 18,500 BTU/hr Ocean Breeze units.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    A honda or WEN/Harbor freight 2000 (now they have 2200) inverter generator will likely start up your A/C units IF you install the microair easy start. Search on youtube for demonstrations.

I can start and run either my 12,000 or 18,500 BTU/hr Ocean Breeze units.
    Quote Originally Posted by JuiceClark View Post
    I had an F-36 Trojan a long time ago with 454s. Loved the simplicity and reliability of that boat. I ran it around everywhere.

The genset was located under the cockpit and was a rust-bucket. So, when I put in a new pancake fuel tank under the cockpit (to replace 4 galvanized tanks), I threw the genset away. BUT, you have to have an alternative source of power on trips. If you run the batts dry, you're kinda screwed.

So, I kept one of those Honda 2k portable generators onboard with a plug which allowed me to connect it to shore power. If we ever got stuck, I had that to recharge and get 'em started. Plus, we ended up using it all the time camping on the beach and for non-boating stuff.

Just be very careful of carbon monoxide from it. I only used it a couple times on the boat, mostly just to run the genny once in awhile. But I'd tether it on the dive platform (like you did) and be wary of whether the wind was blowing it into the cabin.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...SABEgKr1vD_BwE
    This was my thinking. The 2000w inverter just ran on the bank of the canals at night to run fridge and charge batts. We have (2) 8D's and one is weak and will be replaced this spring, so we took precautions.

I have/use a 3500w Yamaha inverter with our camper when there isn't power and its perfect. It'll run the 15000BTU AC, with ease. It's a little too heavy to throw around, but the cheap Harbor Freight models are lighter and a 3rd the cost if it accidentally went swimming.

Thanks for all the input. If I cannot get the parts for the existing unit reasonably, I'll open some space up in ER and go with this plan. Can always put another rebuilt unit in, if one becomes available.

Ask yourself this question... would I have bought this boat without a generator?

I know I wouldn't have, and I'm guessing most would say the same. You'll take a big hit at resell time if you half ass it with a portable or anything else short of a fully functional, marine generator. If that doesn't bother you, have at it. Just don't blow yourself up.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Resale aside. I think you could get away with an inverter, dedicated battery bank, and some good alternators with regulators.

I am personally am considering building a nice solar rear bim.

If it wasn't a resale consideration I would prefer and enjoy 1,600-1,800 of solar with a 2nd dedicated house bank alternators or a small 8-10K gen-set as backup. My wife is coveting that Generator space for a pantry! OK, So I need to install some more batteries (REGARDLESS) or make a good lithium bank.

If you're going the gas route, the harbor fright inverter generators are great for the price. Don't get the non-inverter generators.
    Aperture
    1977 53' MY Hull #492

Barnegat lighthouse, LBI NJ