Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Flybridge bench and deck drains

I really hate the way Hatteras drained the port side L bench and port side flybridge deck. I've read and posted on this issue with other 55C owners in the past. Basically, the port side of the flybridge and the L bench drain under the bench. Water then backs up in front of the helm. The drains are also easily clogged. In the past, I've passed copper from the back bench corner through the helm and off the aft port side of the FB. But, washdowns or rain with the glass up just makes a mess. There's no way, with all that dampness, to take advantage of that huge space.

So....I've dealt with it. I opened up and beveled the single drain hole on top of the L bench. There, I installed a short stub of heavily flared 1/2" copper pipe.
    IMG_2617.jpg
    Of course, the area is inaccessible, so a 7" deck plate was enough to fix that. If you've ever wondered about the stoutness of the flybridge seating on a Hatt is, wonder no more.

From there I ran 1/2" copper and hose against the back of the bench as shown.
    IMG_2620.jpg
    Now, a 1/2" thru hull carries the water out on the starboard side of the helm where gravity finishes the job.
    IMG_2616.jpg
    Back under the L bench, I closed off the unneeded holes in the deck drain pipe. Those holes allowed deck water to spill out under the bench until it eventually drained out. Since the holes were just slightly above the deck, any boat out of level left some casual water. Now, port side deck water drains directly overboard thru the OEM pipe. The huge storage space under the L bench (seats unto seven) is now useful clean stowage.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Flybridge bench and deck drains

This makes me wonder, so, on our 43DC the whole topside of the boat essentially has no drains, except off the back corners... So this means that when it rains, etc, that all of the water has to run the whole length off the boat and out the back.

I have seen where people talked about diverting the water off the side, etc, but that involves digging into the cap rail.

I wonder if you could do a suitable drain on each side at the back of the pilot house and plumb it to a through hull...
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY
    1977-2019 CAROL-SUE Baltimore, MD
    1972-1977 C.VALPRISANN IV Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    This makes me wonder, so, on our 43DC the whole topside of the boat essentially has no drains, except off the back corners... So this means that when it rains, etc, that all of the water has to run the whole length off the boat and out the back.I have seen where people talked about diverting the water off the side, etc, but that involves digging into the cap rail.I wonder if you could do a suitable drain on each side at the back of the pilot house and plumb it to a through hull...
    On Aslan, the port FB deck drain is plumbed out. The rest of the FB drains as you described.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by brettportzer View Post
    This makes me wonder, so, on our 43DC the whole topside of the boat essentially has no drains, except off the back corners... So this means that when it rains, etc, that all of the water has to run the whole length off the boat and out the back.

I have seen where people talked about diverting the water off the side, etc, but that involves digging into the cap rail.

I wonder if you could do a suitable drain on each side at the back of the pilot house and plumb it to a through hull...
    I think it's way too much water for that. I've got notches in the rail, but I still need to make Starboard diverters. It still won't get all of it, but I'll settle for most of it. When waves are breaking over the bow, forget it.

Hatteras Drain Channel 2.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA