Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Distress call in Bahamas

I saw this on the Bahamas sportfishing facebook page

URGENT ASSISTANCE NEEDED NEAR GREAT ABACO ISLAND, BAHAMAS.

At 1710 hrs, 15 DEC 2019, the USCG Rescue Coordination Center (RCC) Miami, Florida has asked for assistance with a vessel in distress at location 25 57.994 N / 077 21.982 W or approx. 3.5 NM SE of Rock Point, Great Abaco Island. The vessel is a 46-foot Hatteras sailing vessel with six (6) Persons on Board with life jackets on. The vessel has lost its rudder and is taking on water. The vessel is in too deep of water to anchor. Vessel's name is unknown at this time.
    The USCG requests that all vessels in the area of the South end of Great Abaco Island near the intersection of the Northeast Providence Channel and the Northwest Providence Channel keep a sharp lookout of this vessel in distress, assist if possible, and report any sightings to the USCG on VHF Channel 16 or telephone number 305-415-6800.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Re: Distress call in Bahamas

I saw this earlier. Afaik Hatteras never built a 46 sailboat. The only sailboat they built was the Ted Hood designed 65’...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ouch. There is actually a way to get some steering using a bridle and a long warp off the stern.... Plugging holes is fun too.

Wonder if they hit something or it fell off. Rudder posts are generally stainless steel pipe, as in hollow, on that size boat...1/4" maybe 3/8" wall.... 3" ish diameter..... that go well into the fiberglass rudder with stainless plate "flags" to keep them from rotating. The rudder is built around the post. Much of that out of sight inside the rudder. Where the pipe goes into the rudder as well as inside the rudder after water infiltration, which WILL happen with all the forces and movement, over time they DO corrode until -snap crackle pop-. There's a LOT more force on the rudder on a sailing vessel than there is on the rudder(s) of a power driven vessel.

When I bought my 42 footer it was almost 20 years old with the original rudder. I drilled a hole in the bottom when it was on the hard and it dripped for weeks. There were a few of the model that had in fact lost theirs over the last few years so when I prepared for outside sailing (much of it solo) I spent the money and bought a new rudder. It was a bear putting it on but I had the peace of mind that there were no issues where I couldn't see them.

I wish them the good luck out there. It's a crappy predicament to be in, although unless the damage is extensive you can McGyver your way out of it to get within towboat range. Anchoring is never a good idea on open water even IF it's shallow enough. It's a slow(er) shipwreck.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 12-15-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

So, what is the procedure to get home? What kinds of plugs or materials do you keep on board to fix that size of a hole? I guess first step is to familiarize yourself with their location and access, since that might be covered with water when you do have to plug the hole. Also, test the high water alarms regularly? If your first notice is water on the cabin floor, then it is too late for the generator and engines.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Seems the boat has been stabilized, and the call for assistance has been cancelled. The term sail doesn’t necessarily mean sailbote. Will be interesting to hear details.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I think vessel and sailing were written in the wrong order, should have been a "46 foot Hatteras vessel ,sailing with 6 persons onboard" ........ Pat

Sail as a verb could describe any vessel but in this case it says “ vessel is a 46-foot Hatteras sailing vessel with six (6) Persons on Board ”. That can only mean a sailboat. That said, I think Pat May be right
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

An assortment of bungs should be on all boats with through hulls. A large bung would have taken care of a rudder that slipped out.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Ouch. There is actually a way to get some steering using a bridle and a long warp off the stern.... Plugging holes is fun too.

Wonder if they hit something or it fell off. Rudder posts are generally stainless steel pipe, as in hollow, on that size boat...1/4" maybe 3/8" wall.... 3" ish diameter..... that go well into the fiberglass rudder with stainless plate "flags" to keep them from rotating. The rudder is built around the post. Much of that out of sight inside the rudder. Where the pipe goes into the rudder as well as inside the rudder after water infiltration, which WILL happen with all the forces and movement, over time they DO corrode until -snap crackle pop-. There's a LOT more force on the rudder on a sailing vessel than there is on the rudder(s) of a power driven vessel.

When I bought my 42 footer it was almost 20 years old with the original rudder. I drilled a hole in the bottom when it was on the hard and it dripped for weeks. There were a few of the model that had in fact lost theirs over the last few years so when I prepared for outside sailing (much of it solo) I spent the money and bought a new rudder. It was a bear putting it on but I had the peace of mind that there were no issues where I couldn't see them.

I wish them the good luck out there. It's a crappy predicament to be in, although unless the damage is extensive you can McGyver your way out of it to get within towboat range. Anchoring is never a good idea on open water even IF it's shallow enough. It's a slow(er) shipwreck.
    Hatteras rudder posts are solid bronze.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I think you all are right and that the wording led me astray to a sailboat. It probably was a powerboat, IF the Hatteras part was correct. Who knows.

That said, for the sake of discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    So, what is the procedure to get home? What kinds of plugs or materials do you keep on board to fix that size of a hole? I guess first step is to familiarize yourself with their location and access, since that might be covered with water when you do have to plug the hole. Also, test the high water alarms regularly? If your first notice is water on the cabin floor, then it is too late for the generator and engines.
    1: Every through hole on my boat was known to me, in the dark, they were operable, there was nothing touching them or blocking them, there was a bung tied to everyone of them. Off shore the ones not in use were closed.

2: I had float switches in the bilge which were wired to a set of 2 $10 car horns from NAPA which could be heard on the fore deck while motoring. With the alarm activated the water was a foot below the floor boards and below ALL through hulls, key in finding the problem. And yes, test regularly. Every time you're in there cleaning the bilge. Believe it or not, one of the top causes of pump failure is human hair. A human (those of us that have hair, I don't have much, my girls do) loses 120 hairs a day. I was forever chasing them around the boat, long blond and black ones. In fact, ships rules were that brushing was to take place on the most leeward corner of the boat.

3: Tarps, heavy duty, with lines attached to the corners, in a few sizes. Put it over the hole if at all possible, water pressure would keep it there. Lines around to the other side. Yes, you're going overboard to get this in place. This is not a guarantee, and there are a lot of variables but it's an option that MAY work. It has been done, and its more fun than sitting there waiting for the basket.

What I did not have was a trash pump or an engine driven pump. IOW, if the water really started coming in I was screwed. The strategy was to find out EARLY and plug the hole.

Regarding solid bronze rudder posts, they too can corrode where hidden, or they can fall out. But if it was indeed a powerboat they would have had two, not to mention two props. Interested to know the rest of the story.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 12-17-2019 at 01:03 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay