Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Freebird - here’s a 58YF

Freebird....I know you’re trying to help our fellow Hatteras friends find a new boat, a 53MY, but is a 58YF out of the question? It’s basically 53MY with a cockpit.

In my own continuing search for a boat, I came upon this listing in the Great Loop website which looks like a really nice YF. The ad on the great loop site has this broker link:

https://www.amyachts.com/our-listing...-states-713396

Bigger than what I want, but looks nice.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: Freebird - here’s a 58YF

275 I think is out of his price range. I believe Randy said max 125
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    275 I think is out of his price range. I believe Randy said max 125
    . Oops! I must have missed that tidbit somewhere. Oh well, that is a nice YF for someone wanting to spend a little more, even if not quite that much. You never know...make an offer. I bought my 58MY for $175,000 less than asking. You just never know....
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I sent him a link for a 53yf kind of a rare bird. A neighbor had one he wanted a cockpit but did want a 58. I don’t know what you loose space wise over a std 53
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Billy Mahoney aka bigbill told me about that one before realizing it was unrealistically priced. I did call about a 53YF that’s close to Charlie Freeman, but it needs too much work. You lose quite a bit of living area vs a 53MY, but I thought they might like the two stateroom layout. I’ve been on a 53YF and think it’s a great boat.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I think the YF for two people would be a good fit. I prefer a cockpit. I just think line handling and deal with a tender or using the swim platform is much easier. IDK but when I’m traveling I always get these transient slips that are stern to. Seems the slips are always too long and there are usually no mid piling to keep you from drifting into a neighboring boat. Just a lot easier with a cockpit. I delivered Mike P’s 53 for the PO in 93 from Lauderdale to Georgetown Md by myself. The My is great for getting the lines on the outside poles. But the stern lines are a PITA unzip the enclosure try to throw the line to the guy on the dock he misses then your dangling over the rail trying to pull the line in before it goes in the props or you drift into the boat alongside. I can see how a lot of these MY guys anchor out and either listen to the genny all night or run off their inverter and lay in a pool of sweat.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

My next boat will definitely have a cockpit, and I think the two stateroom 53MY would be ideal. Not sure what the difference in salon size is, but it felt about the same on the one I spent a brief amount of time on. Pretty sure the master is the same and possibly a little larger.

There was a nice one (appeared to be) on the Great Lakes a couple of days ago, but it seems to have disappeared.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

When I started my search for a live-aboard, the two cabin 53YF was top of my list. From recollection saloon was about same size but you lost aft deck space of MY to the cockpit on the YF. Could only find three cabin ones at the time, so 58YF with three staterooms was next on the list.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Good Info for someone in the market for a Hatt, Thanks.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's