Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Battery chArger size

Almost all chargers are "multi" output but many of them are just 2 or three connection posts with those outputs all on the same single charging channel/algorithm and just isolated with a diode. Every battery/bank gets the charger needs of the most depleted battery/bank. This can lead to over charging of a seldom used battery. I actually went to seperate chargers years ago even though you can find them with completely seperate channels but with my set up, if a charger goes down I can still keep going and take the bad one offline for repair. It has saved me once in a pinch.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

When I look at the charging specs for different types of batteries, flooded, AGM and gel, it seems the differences in charging voltages to compensate for battery temperature dwarfs the differences in charging based on the type of the battery.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Temp probes on the battery bank to vary charging voltage increases battery life and in a good charger signal the unit to shut down if something goes wrong like a shorted cell.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

The Hatteras 12/24 battery set up works with a 2 bank high amp 12V charger for house and gen batteries (one port, one SBD) and 2 more 12V low amp single bank chargers for the second battery on each 24V group for engine start. The Alternator is (I believe) 24V and charges both batteries at the same time. The only time the batteries are not single 12V batteries is during engine start and alternator charging.

all that said single multi bank chargers cannot be used. The reason is they only have say 3 12V outputs with a common negative. This would cause a short between 2 12V batteries. The way 12/24V is obtained is the location of the taps on each group.

Easy way to explain that is on my 36V golf cart I get 12V for radio and crap (yes, I pimped my ride!) by going to the positive on any battery and the negative on the next one after it.

Thanks for all of your input. The internal fan is bad on my chArles unit. I ordered a new fan but looking down the road I will have to get a new charger. I agree that with all of the LED lighting etc. charger capacity specified in the 80’s is probably an overkill now.
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

We have 3 Charles chargers on the 84 Lazzara i run

Since they re 10 years old, I decided to get a new main 24v charger as a spare in case the CHarles fails while in the Exumas since we spend a lot of time there. CHarles being out of the marine charger business, I got a 220v Victron Centaur 24v 60amp. For now it’s staying in its box so no feed back. Paid $900 from Ward Electrics in FTL
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've noticed a lot of the new high end boats are using Dolphin chargers or the Victrons.
    Dolphin made the electronic Sentry chargers for a long time, our electronic 24v electronic Sentry charger is 17 yrs old, have replaced only the fan twice in all that time.
    Did had 2 x 12v electronic Sentry's go bad over 14 years, through in a ProMariner Pronautic, because we needed a charger right away 3 years ago and it's been perfect.

Btw, have a spare 24v Sentry charger new in the box stored under the bed for when the current 24v goes bad.
    Last edited by Cricket; 12-10-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Not a big fan of Dolphin. I had one crap out on a 70 footer I used to run at about 8 years old and the replacement lasted 3 years. I went with a Charles after that

I put two Promariners ProNautics on my boat. A 24/30 for the house bank and a 12/30 for the two mains and gen batteries. They re pretty compact so I mounted them under the helm, in the companionway above the forward ER doors. Out of heat and the panels can easily be read. Excuse the dust and visible wires in the pic
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Basic battery care. A 12 volt bank is easiest. a 24 volt bank can be better served with a battery equalizer added.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...ttery-balancer

Id recommend the following if you wanty to be covering the bases

2 battery balancers ( 1 for each pair of batteries ) $50.00 each

Charger I like best at 30 amps
    Skylla IP44 24/30 (3) 90-265VAC can do both banks $699.00

Larger if you want a more basic but more amps

Centaur Charger 24/60 (3) also can do both banks but analog controlled. $750.00

PM Me if you need assistance
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Not a big fan of Dolphin. I had one crap out on a 70 footer I used to run at about 8 years old and the replacement lasted 3 years. I went with a Charles after that

I put two Promariners ProNautics on my boat. A 24/30 for the house bank and a 12/30 for the two mains and gen batteries. They re pretty compact so I mounted them under the helm, in the companionway above the forward ER doors. Out of heat and the panels can easily be read. Excuse the dust and visible wires in the pic
    do you hit them when going down the steps to the rear? seems like they would be in the way
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.