Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Battery chArger size

My charles industries 40amp charger is starting to act up. I may need to change it, but they apparently no longer manufacture marine chargers.

Would you think a 30 amp charger or even a 20 Amp would be sufficient?
    We run generators 100% of the time aboard and only use my 24v bank ( that supply house and engine start) for the vacuflush systems and a few other minor accessories. I’d like the charger to handle starting the engines from a weak bank if need be.
    My setup is 2 pairs of 8D batteries per Detroit diesel supplying some house and starting of main engines.
    ( my 12v generator bank is separate and run other shower pumps and minor lighting etc)

I’ve never seen my charger at 20 amps on the gauge in all my years with regular usage.
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

Re: Battery chArger size

I would not cut back on the output amps, you may need it some day.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

It's based on battery bank size.

I'd not go smaller. A simple formula is 10 hours to charge or less.

So 600 cca needs a 60 amp charger.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We put in the 45a Analytic systems smart charger. At the time, this was the largest capacity smart charger I could find. The thing is a beast and will hopefully lead to extended battery life.

Probably picked up 2knts on weight savings along lol.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I'm planning on replacing my " lamarsh" charger this coming season. It works fine but it is OE and want to upgrade to new tech for my old 32V system. I haven't found many 32v chargers with good or any ratings. I saw the analytics systems and it seems tiny compared to what I have. Not trying to hijack the thread I didn't want to start another about chargers etc.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I'm planning on replacing my " lamarsh" charger this coming season. It works fine but it is OE and want to upgrade to new tech for my old 32V system. I haven't found many 32v chargers with good or any ratings. I saw the analytics systems and it seems tiny compared to what I have. Not trying to hijack the thread I didn't want to start another about chargers etc.
    When comparing chargers be sure to compare amps apples to amps apples, the analytics charger is rated for 45amps continuous (going off memory here on the number so don't quote me). Many of the other chargers stated higher amp rates but not rated for continuous use. If you dug and found their continuous rating it was far lower than the analytic.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

An 8D is 225 AH if I m not mistaken, so 450 for both... you re never going to go below 50% so 30amp charge will get you charged up in 8 hours. I wouldn’t go less than 30 though. Especially nowadays with most lights being LEDs demand on chargers have gone down significantly. Even more in larger boats with 120v refriferation
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

2 pairs of 8D batteries at 24 volts?

Smallest I'd consider is a 24 volt 30 amp charger BUT keep in mind the battery type and smart charging.

Look at the Victron IP44

https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/skylla-ip44

The 24 volt 3 output charger is great. Just max 30 amps. Id like to see higher amps

Or the Skylla versions https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/skylla-i

24 volt and 80 amps.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Are any of these chargers capable of multi-program multi-output with independent temperature compensation on each bank?
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I dont think so. I've used the 1+1 for independent battery banks. And the 3x for 2 start and a generator in the ip44 model. Never had 2 or 3 separate types of batteries on the 3 banks myself.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.