Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Boat level when polishing fuel

Last year before launching after the repower in the yard I had the old fuel pumped out and the tanks cleaned. Well as much as you can clean them with the baffles

After about 25 hours on the mains and 60 on the gen i Looked at the main racor bowls and found them yucky with slime. The 30 microns racors are yucky as well. I had used fuel from both tanks for both mains to test the new lines and valves.

On the other hand the racor for the genset looks like new, it only pulls from the forward tank

So today i rigged a small fuel pump and sucked the bottom of each tank. Forward tank is clean, aft tank was dirty as I pulled about 2 gallons of sludge.

I have no reason to suspect the fuel polisher did only one tank so best explanation is that the boat was slightly bow up in the yard causing fuel to accumulate aft. That helped cleaning the forward tank (access plate at the rear) but left a bunch of slime away from the access plate in the aft tank

Has anybody experienced this? Looks like fuel polishing and tank cleaning should be done in the water
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Boat level when polishing fuel

It's best if you can pull the access plate, or a plug, and run a copper straw down to the absolute bottom of the tank to suck the sludge off the bottom.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    It's best if you can pull the access plate, or a plug, and run a copper straw down to the absolute bottom of the tank to suck the sludge off the bottom.
    That s what I did. And that’s s what the fuel polisher did. Problem with the 53 is that the access plates are side by side so chances are some stuff will stay at the end of one tank.

For now I m going to fill the forward tank as it a clean, and when I have a fu holding tank at the bow I ll empty the water tanks to make the boat bow heavy so I can get all the stuff out of the aft tabk
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    That s what I did. And that’s s what the fuel polisher did. Problem with the 53 is that the access plates are side by side so chances are some stuff will stay at the end of one tank.

For now I m going to fill the forward tank as it a clean, and when I have a fu holding tank at the bow I ll empty the water tanks to make the boat bow heavy so I can get all the stuff out of the aft tabk
    Just run fore to aft back/forth many times to slosh it around! lol, be sure to film it and post the youtube video!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Can even put some plastic barrels on the foredeck and fill them with water..... Just syphon them overboard when you're done.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

We are located in Florida and do fuel polishing/tank cleaning. Anything we could help with just let us know! We are located in Melbourne, FL. We can come to you.

Mike

Last year before launching after the repower in the yard I had the old fuel pumped out and the tanks cleaned. Well as much as you can clean them with the baffles

After about 25 hours on the mains and 60 on the gen i Looked at the main racor bowls and found them yucky with slime. The 30 microns racors are yucky as well. I had used fuel from both tanks for both mains to test the new lines and valves.

On the other hand the racor for the genset looks like new, it only pulls from the forward tank

So today i rigged a small fuel pump and sucked the bottom of each tank. Forward tank is clean, aft tank was dirty as I pulled about 2 gallons of sludge.

I have no reason to suspect the fuel polisher did only one tank so best explanation is that the boat was slightly bow up in the yard causing fuel to accumulate aft. That helped cleaning the forward tank (access plate at the rear) but left a bunch of slime away from the access plate in the aft tank

Has anybody experienced this? Looks like fuel polishing and tank cleaning should be done in the water