Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spare props?'s

Spare props?'s

My 52 hatt sf has 34x33 3 blades on it. I can pick up a spare used set of 32x33 3 blades in nice shape dirt cheap. Would they be close enough to use if I damage mine and need an emergency back up?

Both for 2 1/2 shafts

Re: Spare props?'s

Quote Originally Posted by Blowncar View Post
    My 52 hatt sf has 34x33 3 blades on it. I can pick up a spare used set of 32x33 3 blades in nice shape dirt cheap. Would they be close enough to use if I damage mine and need an emergency back up?

Both for 2 1/2 shafts
    Your local prop shop could probably run the calculations for you and let you know what you would loose/gain with them. Boat diesel also has a prop calculator if you have a certain tier membership.

Curious what hp engines you have in your 52 and what kinda numbers you are getting with those props?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Boat is new to me. On sea trial with 700 gallons but no gear we got just about 1 knot per 100 rpms once on plane, so 1600 = 16 knots 1900 -19knots. 735hp 8v92s

Boat is new to me. On sea trial with 700 gallons but no gear we got just about 1 knot per 100 rpms once on plane, so 1600 = 16 knots 1900 -19knots. 735hp 8v92s
    What was WOT rpm? Those numbers seem a little off to me....
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Unhappy Re: Spare props?'s

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    What was WOT rpm? Those numbers seem a little off to me....
    went 2225 rpm @ wot about 23knts I'm thinking they are not 735hp. Found removed engine tag in owners binder stated injectors were 9215's. Not sure if tag is before covington conversion or after.
    Last edited by Blowncar; 12-09-2019 at 06:42 PM.

My 52 hatt sf has 34x33 3 blades on it. I can pick up a spare used set of 32x33 3 blades in nice shape dirt cheap. Would they be close enough to use if I damage mine and need an emergency back up? Both for 2 1/2 shafts
    Why not? You specified emergency backup.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

They will be ok for spares if you don’t have any. An inch of diameter is roughly equal to 2 inches of pitch. You are going to be underpropped by a considerable amount.

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    They will be ok for spares if you don’t have any. An inch of diameter is roughly equal to 2 inches of pitch. You are going to be underpropped by a considerable amount.
    According to the numbers posted above for wot he is slightly overpropped right now. Depending on the load that wot was taken at, could be a little overpropped or a lot.

I'd personally rather be under propped than over propped.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL