Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Strange issue, tripping 240V GFI

Today, out of nowhere, one of my 240VAC HVAC systems started tripping the GFI every time I turn it on. Trips, even if I just turn to "START" without running the compressor.

All of my (four) HVAC systems a connected to this same breaker/GFI in the pilothouse (58LRC). Only the salon HVAC trips the breaker, so this is a bit strange.

If I start the generator and run off Generator power, the breaker does not trip. So, something to do with shore power and this one HVAC system.

I'm thinking it must have something to do with the 220VAC water pump circuit as that will trip the breaker when the Salon HVAC is turned on without the compressor.

We have had a lot of rain lately. Maybe water got in somewhere? I opened the HVAC control box and it's dry. There was one white wire connected to a capacitor that was melted. It was corroded badly at the spade connector, so I cut it off and replaced it with a nice clean connection. I thought that might have been the culprit, but no such luck.

Any ideas?

Re: Strange issue, tripping 240V GFI

Disconnect all wires from that same cap and re-test.
    It is amazing how many A/C caps fail and cause strange problems.

Good plan, will try in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag930 View Post
    Good plan, will try in the morning.
    Be careful with electricity. Take pictures or draw a schematic to help put it back together. Tape all loose wires before turning the breaker back on,, Oh, You did turn the breaker off??

Well, the Gremlin that was in my HVAC must have gone home. All is working perfectly again and nothing (that I know of) has changed. Went down to the boat, turned the unit on and it ran for two hours, no issue.

Bizzare.

Intermittent issues are a PITA.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay