Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: freshwater plumbing

Update: I found a drop every 3-4 sec leak coming from the 1/4" hose on the pump housing. I replaced that hose, pulled the prime plug to ensure it was full of water and gave it another whirl. Pump kicked on @ 22PSI and stayed on while I had a faucet open. Shut the faucet off, pump ran pressure to 42PSI, shut off and held at 40 PSI. There has been no water use since and it's at 39 PSI three hours later.

Regarding check valves, I still don't understand why one would be needed on the outlet side of the pump. Nor do I see a need for one in the dock side inlet line as the dock side pressure should keep the system pressure high enough that the FW pump doesn't kick on sending water out the dock side inlet. I guess if the dock side inlet was left open that would pose a problem. On a side note, that could be a way to utilize the FW pump as dual duty as a FW wash down for final clean after fishing

Thanks for all the responses, I'll keep an eye on it but I think we're good to go, for now
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

I think the check valve is there to stop the city water pressure from blowing thru the freshwater pump and overfilling the tank.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I think the check valve is there to stop the city water pressure from blowing thru the freshwater pump and overfilling the tank.
    You are correct. I have recently been working on my FW system which has not been used in years. After finding the Galley Maid manual, it’s states that a check valve is required ( and provided ) between the tank and pump. And it states another one is required on the other side of the pump. My system did not have this second check valve installed. So if the CV between tank and pump stuck open, dock water would overflow the tank. And in my case it did during my troubleshooting adventure.

Could you place a Stainless steel loom over the hose to deter the rodents ?