Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hynautic steering losing pressure

The air pressure in my steering reservoir is normally set to 30psi, a few days ago I noticed that it was down to 20psi. I pumped it back up to 30psi, but after 48 hours days it was back down to 20psi again. At that point, I checked the steering cylinder for a fluid leak, but it was bone dry. I also checked the steering box at the lower helm and found it to be dry, ditto for the upper helm. There was no lowering of the fluid level in the reservoir and an application of soapy water to the Schrader valve gave indication of a very, very small air leak, so I changed the entire valve and pumped back up to 30psi again. After 24 hours the pressure was down to 25psi. Any comments or suggestions?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Hynautic steering losing pressure

Schrader valve, o-ring on fluid cap on reservoir would be my first suspect.

Also the square o-ring at one of the helm stations. It is where the steering shaft goes into the steering box. I had a leak on one once where fluid was running down a wire into a corner away from where you would think it would be leaking. Also, it took very little fluid loss to drop the pressure.

At HVAC shops they sell leak detector, it looks just like dawn in a spray bottle but it works WAAAY better than soapy water at finding a leak. I keep a bottle on the boat and it has come in very handy in the past finding little leaks.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I agree. Sounds like valve or the cap on the reservoir. Anywhere else would leak fluid
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I can drop 5-8 PSI from temp in winter.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks, I pumped her up and am traveling again. A gentleman with a sistership has had the same issue for several years and has spent a lot of time and money looking for a leak. It does seem to be an air leak though as opposed to fluid. I’ll be monitoring it closely and plan on ordering a reservoir O-ring and will try that.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

One mod I did that may help others, I purchased an air hose extension kit and ran the air fill line to midship. This makes it WAAAAYYY easier to pressurize the system than crawling in the hole between the generator and electrical panel to pressurize it.

I also have a M12 air pump that goes to my milwaukee m12 battery drill set.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

My compressor is in the same engineroom as the reservoir. But the air space in the reservoir is so small that just touching the nozzle to the valve pegs the gauge! I’m going to a bicycle shop and getting a mini hand pump for the job.
    I did learn the once the system had run for 7 hours, 30psi had become almost 40pst and the level rose 1/4”.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

The reservoir should be half full of fluid. If it’s more the volume of air capacity is reduced geometrically as the volume is reduced. If you have a leak the pressure drops quicker the less volume of air in the reservoir can
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I had simliar mysterious leak down on one of my Hynautic engine controls. After checking the
    aforementioned suspects, it turned out to be the gauge, which is impossible to use leak detect on.

BTW, when I was stumped, I finally called Hyanutic (SeaStar) tech support and they immediately
    identified the gauge as the culprit.

John McCarley
    Water Colors
    '86 63MY
    Wrightsville Beach NC

Quote Originally Posted by divert00 View Post
    I had simliar mysterious leak down on one of my Hynautic engine controls. After checking the
    aforementioned suspects, it turned out to be the gauge, which is impossible to use leak detect on.

BTW, when I was stumped, I finally called Hyanutic (SeaStar) tech support and they immediately
    identified the gauge as the culprit.

John McCarley
    Water Colors
    '86 63MY
    Wrightsville Beach NC
    That is very helpful. I had not considered the gauge at all as a possible leak source. If a cap o-ring does not fix it I’ll try replacing the gauge.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht