Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Prayers For Robby And Brenda

Did they have another boat before that one, Bird?

Rattled? OMG yes. Glad they are okay and that they got their dog out. Jesus.

They named their dog Jesus?

Glad to hear they got out okay. The rest can be replaced. Hopefully soon.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    They named their dog Jesus?
    why not? If it's a Chihuahua. this should be the morning funny--thanks for the laugh
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Hate to hear it. Winter time, usually means space heaters. In my experience, that's a common thread in many boat fires.

Glad they made it out. I've got three smoke/CO detectors below in Aslan. I test them the first of every month. Recently, I made double certain the forward hatch is unencumbered by the tender and hold-downs on the foredeck above. Just in case, I attached a hunting knife, in scabbard, above the screen. Flashlights and extinguishers in every cabin as well.

First thing after getting out is always cutting the shore power. We've had three fires at my marine since I've been there. I was the first responder at one and pulling the plug was key to controlling the fire.

Good luck to Robby and Brenda. I hope those that know them will let the rest of us know if we can help out.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Did they have another boat before that one, Bird?

Rattled? OMG yes. Glad they are okay and that they got their dog out. Jesus.
    This was the first, and I do mean first boat they ever owned. Not so much as a fishing boat prior. Their dream was to live on a Hatteras and do the loop. Hopefully it’ll still happen for them.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Keep test driving all them boats s till you find one for them
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks to this thread my son and I discussed a fire plan and did a fire drill. The aft hatches hadn’t been opened in so long they were stuck.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

This thread is a good opportunity for all of us to think about fire safety.
    I went through my equipment and procedures in case of fire after the accident in Ca. on the diving boat.
    Rescuers were not able to even attempt to get passengers out due to the escape hatches being latched from the inside. :-/

Prayers for them indeed. Fire is always scary and doubly so on a boat. I pray that they can put their lives back together soon. Another issue this brings to mind for me is the insurance companies valuation of your boat. We bought our boat a year ago to replace our 50' Grandbanks. It seems the insured value is based on the purchase price which may or not represent replacement cost. My Grandbanks (which is still for sale) is insured for $210k (what we bought it for 15yrs ago) and is for sale for $130k - our Hatteras is insured for $150k ($140k purchase plus $10k allowance for improvements) and couldn't be replaced for under $200k. When my list of improvements nears completion, I'll over $200k in her. So... I hope there is enough insurance money to replace their boat.

bob
    Bob Leland
    1980 58' Yachtfish Hull#473
    Seattle,Wa / Phoenix, Az

Luckily they didn't put carpet or anything else over the escape hatch. Its ridiculous how many people dont think about the escape hatch until they need to use it.

Having smoke detectors and fire extinguishers is great but you need to have a way out.

More people die from the smoke than the fire.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.