Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

52 c floor is mysteriously wet

I recently purchased a 1985 Hatt 52c 2 stateroom model So far it's been a pretty common adjustment period; finding and fixing little items. However, now i'm stumped. The carpet in the hallway between the bedrooms has been found soaked in a few spots on several occasions. The main spot is in front of washer/dryer closet but the weird thing it's in the middle of the hall not the edges of the carpet/hallwalls.

It's not rain leaking from the hatch i've opened the floor hatch that's in the v bunk and looked underneath and it is dry. I can stick my arm in and reach back to almost where the watered carpet would be and the wood underneath is dry. While it does smell a little musty it certain isn't a black water leak.

I'd suspect a leaky water line on the washer/washer discharge line, but the wetness isn't coming from the wall side, its dry. Water is only in center of the hallway. We have monitored when filling fresh water tanks, running the washer, running the shower/sinks and nothing seems to cause the floor to get wet. However, sometimes when you happen to be walking through the hall its wet when an hour prior it wasn't. Ideas??

Re: 52 c floor is mysteriously wet

Are you running air conditioning? Condensation lines can plug and the pan will overflow.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I second checking the condensation lines. I've had them clog a few times. I try to hit them with the shop vac whenever I have it in the ER to help keep them cleared out. Be sure to check that you don't have any sags in the condensation lines. I had one with a sag and it would 'flush'. So it would leak condensate for a while, then flush and drain itself, rinse and repeat. Once I discovered what was going on, I shortened and re-routed the line to make it more reliable/serviceable.

In boats water really has a way of migrating to places far from the source. Sometimes it is amazing how far it can travel before it pools/puddles. Just follow the edge of the wet and eventually you should locate the source.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 12-06-2019 at 07:37 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

We have the AC off, haven't turned it on at all. After posting last night i removed the access panel in the master bath that exposes the back of the washer/dryer combo and plumbing connections. I couldn't detect any signs of a leak and the floor under the unit is bone dry.

If it's. not wet below or from edge, suspect dripping from overhead. I have a intermittent leak from center helm window that shows on floor three feet forward of window Would find wet patch but took ages to catch the drip from headliner.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Found it! It is the washer. With the back panel off i started the machine and could see water leaching from underneath it. What was throwing me off was the delay (and vice admiral's forgetting when washer was last used). The floor was never wet immediately after using the washer but apparently it took awhile to soak up through the carpet.

Ok now I need to find out if its a hose/connection that can be replaced fixed or is it terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowncar View Post
    Found it! It is the washer. With the back panel off i started the machine and could see water leaching from underneath it. What was throwing me off was the delay (and vice admiral's forgetting when washer was last used). The floor was never wet immediately after using the washer but apparently it took awhile to soak up through the carpet.

Ok now I need to find out if its a hose/connection that can be replaced fixed or is it terminal.
    If it's the Whirlpool "thin twin" there is a plastic valve that goes bad. https://youtu.be/6elwps-G3q8 Parts are still available, but I replaced mine.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 12-06-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Frigidaire laundry center. To inspect it further is going to require removing the wall in front of it and accessing inside the front of the washer. Will the wall panel come off/out with just removing the screws from the trim around it? Also is the panel attached at the top to the headliner? thanks

I have an 84 52C and several years ago after a had winter, I had a pipe split behind the washer/dryer. I cut about a 6"X6" hole in the master head wall to get access to fix the leak and then put a vent into the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowncar View Post
    Frigidaire laundry center. To inspect it further is going to require removing the wall in front of it and accessing inside the front of the washer. Will the wall panel come off/out with just removing the screws from the trim around it? Also is the panel attached at the top to the headliner? thanks
    I have a 55C galley up but layout is similar to a 52c galley up. My front panel comes off after you undo that trim and screws. Headliner not an issue. I have an access panel behind the guest stateroom head. This allows you to crawl in behind the washer if needed. Valves located there as well. If you are a bit stocky or arthritic you may want to give a skinny guy a few beers to go in there. Unfortunately I am an arthritic skinny guy without beer money.