Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crew Stateroom AC Sprung a Leak

While flushing my ac units, the crew room ac sprung a pin hole leak and sprayed barnacle buster all over the genny room. It would seem that the two remaining original ac unit's coil walls are paper thin. Its obvious I'll have to replace the forward ac and air handler because of the leak. My concern is the aft deck ac (the other original ac). That unit shares the same pump as the galley and master staeroom ac units. I'm reluctant to leave those units on when I leave Benedetto for fear of a leak but also hate to cone back to a hot and stuffy (mildewee) boat. I thought of a shut valve to the aft deck ac to isolate while I'm gone but that seems a little trailer trash. Should I bite the bullet and replace both ac systems? We use the aft deck a lot and enjoy the ac. Any suggestions on the replacement for one or both? Was hoping to spend that money on other improvements but I get it, its a boat, something is breaking right now as we speak. I just have to find what it is and fix it. Unfortunately its usually not what I planned to fix or improve.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Crew Stateroom AC Sprung a Leak

Why would the air handler need to be replaced if you just have a leak in the cooling coils at the compressor unit? I've replaced compressors and used the same air handler before without issue.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I would try to fix the water leak. It may be possible. Also I never leave A/C running when we leave the boat for any significant time. As you have seen, leaks can appear quickly. I have made a lot of effort to keep our bilges dry. This greatly prevents having a mildew smell when we return, even here in Miami. Two of my original 7 A/C units are going fine after 36 years, but I am on borrowed time.
    Last edited by jmooney; 12-14-2019 at 10:02 AM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Why would the air handler need to be replaced if you just have a leak in the cooling coils at the compressor unit? I've replaced compressors and used the same air handler before without issue.
    Agree. If the failed heat exchanger coils contaminated the refrigerant circuit then you have a bigger problem that involves the evaporator and the refrigerant lines but if not then it’s purely a condensing unit issue. I have replaced both of my compressors by themselves.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

If the air handler is original it s probably on borrowed time as well but you don’t have to replace it right away because you re replacing the condenser

Nothing wrong about adding valves on the sea water lines, it s practical to isolate a unit for maintenance
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Also, be careful because aggressive acid cleaning the heat exchanger coils can lead to premature failure. I use high pressure water flushes most of the time and avoid acid if possible. As far as acid goes, barnacle buster is on the safer side.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Get a couple of dehumidifiers and leave them run when you leave. Position them to drain into a sink.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    Agree. If the failed heat exchanger coils contaminated the refrigerant circuit then you have a bigger problem that involves the evaporator and the refrigerant lines but if not then it’s purely a condensing unit issue. I have replaced both of my compressors by themselves.

George
    If the unit was still working at time of the leak, it'll have positive refrigerant pressure. It is very unlikely there is any water in the lines. I had the very same issue and caught it with just 8 PSI of refrigerant pressure which resulted in zero water intrusion. This is doubly so as your leak appears to be external only. This makes the effort to repair the leak a good option. Consider wrapping with rescue tape and running the system to ascertain normal heat/cool function.

What do you have to lose?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Not sure about what problems if any the leak created with the handler. I'm hoping to get away with just the compressor. However both units are original so maybe biting the bullet now might give piece of mind later. We do run one dehumidifier while we are gone in the aft state. Good suggestion on adding one Eric, I will. I never ran my ac on our previous boat while we were away but that boat was a 2003 with spotless and dry bilge and a lot smaller vessel. I'm in the process of cleaning and drying each bilge but also fighting a few other fires as well. Some upgrades, some necessary. Thank you all for the suggestions. Keep them coming. I have gone through the web site searching out ac replacements as well.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Don't say fighting fires regarding a boat. That's right up there with bananas. LOL

George
    '
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's