Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Wema Fuel/Water Gauges

I was cleaning up the spaghetti wiring mess that was behind my pilot house helm. It involved my water and fuel gauges. I’m guessing at some point somebody converted the fuel tank sight gauges to electric gauges at the helm. I’m not sure what the original freshwater gauge set up was. Currently it’s the same gauge as the fuel it’s just labeled water. First off I know they are wire correctly. What I discovered in cleaning up this mess is that in the case of the freshwater tank it doesn’t seem to read accurately. The gauge read empty with the needle resting on the peg. I started to add water and sooner then it should have the tank went from an empty indication to a full indication. I let the water run for quite some time after the full indication and I don’t believe the tank ever got completely filled before I stopped filling it. There was no water coming out where ever the vent is and there does not appear to be any extra water in the bilge. It would seem that the float calibration is off. Has anybody had an experience like this? Any ideas of a remedy? The bigger concern is obviously my fuel tank gauges since they are the same. This is a new to us boat and currently cannot leave the slip. We are having the engine freshwater pumps being rebuilt and new risers being made. While we were shopping for boats a number of them had site gauges in the lower hallway for the fuel tanks, is that normal set up? The fuel and water gauges look fairly original but the wiring is not. Either that or someone let their two-year-old play in the space behind the helm. I would like to get some ideas from the Sams people before I call in a professional. Thank you in advance because I know I’m going to get great help. By the way I hope someday I’ll be able to return the favor.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Wema Fuel/Water Gauges

Look here to start.
    http://www.wemausa.com/
    I removed the OEM site gauges with Wema senders and gauges on my bridge and they have worked flawlessly for years. You’ll want to make sure you have the correct sender and gauge.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

Re: Wema Fuel/Water Gauges

Sam’s has electric fuel and water senders which do work for years. I would like add the ultrasonic monitors such as those made by Maretron.
    Be careful when filling the water tanks as they can be easily over pressured and leak at the upper seams. Sam’s has a device which screws into the water fill and holds the water hose about 3 inches above the tank fill. It has slots in the side which lets excess water be released. I have an internal water fill system which uses the boats water after it goes through the onboard pressure regulator.
    I still fill the tanks very slowly.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL