Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Re: I gotta ask, was I wrong?

What kind of tow boat? SeaTow or a commercial tug and barge. Makes a huge difference.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: I gotta ask, was I wrong?

boat-US. Tow was on a line.

3. Re: I gotta ask, was I wrong?

Now it makes sense; a commercial tow would have responded, and would have probably given you instructions on how to pass. That's because the commercial tow guys are real professionals.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    IF anyone is listening, and IF you can find them if the legal crap hits the fan. Which brings up an interesting point.... I assume there are aviation style voice recorders on the bridges of large ships which record conversation on the bridge as well as radio traffic.....Wouldn't be hard to mount a $50 dash cam or two on the bridge of ones yacht to record what happened out there and in there.....Sad it's come to that but since eye witness reports are notoriously unreliable and the guilty will often remember things differently for convenience we need all the protection we can get.
    You know we’re recreational boaters, right?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I don't see all of this communication here on the ICW (east coast). People just pass each other. No toots, no radio, but almost always a wave. Is it because of the traffic? I can see that being the case near Stuart (a lot of traffic), but up here (Melbourne) there isn't much traffic, but still almost no communication. When I started a year ago, I tried to do it the "right" way, but with no replies of likewise toots, I just do it like everyone else now. And got good at turning into the wake.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

It’s been a few years since I ve had to run long distances on the ditch.

Back then, during migration seasons you could tell the cruisers from locals because most would hail on 16 before a pass. Obviously on week end the ratio was different. It s a lot easier if we all follow the rules (yes it is a rule) and make a quick call on 16 (low power) Cost nothing.

I still do it down here... few people acknowledge but some do.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You know we’re recreational boaters, right?
    Yes I do. Although some here have certificates and can, and will be held to a higher standard when the attorneys take over the helm, which is guaranteed when there's big damage to property and or people. (Same with my CDL on the road though I am not operating commercially) At that point our "recreational status" becomes non important. "If they're operating it they should know how to, members of the jury"... In the end it's about how much YOUR insurance company will pay "my client" and I'll take 30% of that please. (not me, I was speaking in a metaphorical way) WE need all the help we can get. Dash cam footage has been allowed into the courts and has already saved many drivers from wrongful guilt, most of whom were not professionals. I have them in everything I drive, and I will have it on my boat. I've gotten within 3 seconds of where it could have saved me a potential legal culpability in a stupid a55hats death and my insurance company millions.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 12-01-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Yes I do. Although some here have certificates and can, and will be held to a higher standard when the attorneys take over the helm. At which point our "recreational status" becomes secondary as well. In the end it's about how much YOUR insurance company will pay "my client" and I'll take 30% of that please. (not me speaking in a metaphorical third person) You need all the help you can get. Dash cam footage has been allowed into the courts and have already saved many drivers, most of whom were not professionals.
    You know we're recreational boaters, right?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You know we're recreational boaters, right?
    So what's with the avatar?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

So what's with the avatar?
    Just a nicely dressed recreational boater.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI