Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nasty Find

Nasty Find

The original watermaker in the genset room never worked and marked broken during survey. So not looked at and I left it alone.

It was replaced a few years ago and the power cable cut and relocated with a new AC power box.

A few days ago I was tidying up the genset room and decided to remove the old metal AC box.

You can see the nasty surprise when I removed it. The box was full of crystals. A death trap.

A good reason that you never have power sockets pointing upwards. I guess original owners just had water from old watermaker dripping into it.

Powerpoint1.jpg

powerpoint2.jpg
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 03-26-2020 at 06:36 PM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Nasty Find

Also a reason to use marine grade materials that don't corrode like that.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Surprised it wasn’t found by the survivors.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

4. Re: Nasty Find

Why wasn't the box removed when the original watermaker work was done?

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    Why wasn't the box removed when the original watermaker work was done?
    On my boat it seems that all old wires were abandoned in place. Things that make you scratch your head.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I guess box was not removed because old watermaker was known to be broken and it was thus unused and nobody had looked inside it. Must have sat like that for 20 years or more through 4 previous owners. Its gone now.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

from my experience, most jobs are quoted to install an item, nothing mentioned about removing the old wiring and associated parts. my boat was repowered before i bought i, the contract said remove 8v71's and gears, install new engines and gears and seatrial. no mention of removing old wiring and other stuff for the 8v71's. i filled 2 55 gallon drums with old wire from years past
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

I pulled two dead transducers off my hull. Apparently it's easier to drill a new hole than it is to remove and replace old hardware as part of an upgrade. Maybe we need to specify removal of old components when we get a quote.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375