Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Winter Service, Injector re-build re-tip, coolant filter add

Coolant filter heads came in, figured I'd post a couple pics as the online pics of these are lacking.

SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Thanks, simple enough. Show us where you tapped in when you get round to it.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

3. Re: Winter Service, Injector re-build re-tip, coolant filter add

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Curious, How many hours approx do you put on them in 2 years? Do you think a 2 year rebuild schedule is the way to go? Or should it be on an hourly schedule?
    Summers in the Northeast and winters in South Florida and Bahamas. That works out to approx. 30,000 gallons of fuel over those two years so let's say about 1000 gallons through each injector. Maybe a bit more with extended Bahamas runs.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    Summers in the Northeast and winters in South Florida and Bahamas. That works out to approx. 30,000 gallons of fuel over those two years so let's say about 1000 gallons through each injector. Maybe a bit more with extended Bahamas runs.
    I would love to be posting those types of numbers!! Someday!!!
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks, simple enough. Show us where you tapped in when you get round to it.
    Also send us a link to the filters you use with it. I’m all in for this.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Also send us a link to the filters you use with it. I’m all in for this.
    The coolant filter I use in all my other stuff is napa 4070. According to the specs of that filter head the napa 4070 should fit it but I have not tested yet. Will report back when I do.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Got 2 coolant filters installed on the main engines. Was easy enough. I tied into an existing/empty plug after the water pump and returned to the top of the tank. I mounted the filters forward of the engines on the floor support cross members.

Filter mounting location, very easy access when in the ER.

This is the supply line. I did NOT drain the coolant to add this fitting. I had a crimped/zip tied short length of hose affixed to it. I unscrewed the existing plug and screwed this one in as quickly as possible. I estimate I lost less than half a cup of coolant in both engines combined (WEAR EYE PROTECTION if you do this, gravity is def against you and the coolant wanted to spray more than I had expected.

Here is the return location. I had to use heat on every single plug I removed, hence the burned paint around them. Amazing how a little heat makes them so easy to remove.

No pics of the filters attached but NAPA 4070 did indeed fit these filter heads.

Did not run the engines any to test for leaks (still waiting on a few tuneup parts), will update with progress when I do. Also, I plan on running these filters for approx 100hrs and then cutting them open. Will post pics here when I do.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 12-27-2019 at 10:50 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Finished the tuneup procedure and fired the engines. I can verify that coolant is making it's way through the new coolant filters!

Tuneup procedure was followed step-by-step via the manual and almost everything went off without a hitch. During the last steps of running the rack, I missed a step of pulling cotter pins from the fuel rods at the correct time. So I basically had to run the rack twice, once incorrectly, and the second time correctly.

I kinda got the feeling halfway through the second engine that i was not doing something right, so I came up and re-read the manual on running the rack and realized what I had done. One positive thing that came from it was that I became very good at setting the rack by feel by the time I was done.

One trick I got off youtube was to use a long set of vice grips. Clamped to the rack they allow you to visually see/feel even the most minute movements of the rack. That tip was not in the manual but was a great help.

The engines fired right up and were purring like kittens! I ran them at the dock at multiple rpms and WOT and everything sounded/looked great. Seatrial scheduled for Saturday!! Will have a diesel mechanic joining us on the seatrial so will have someone knowledgeable with detroits to check over my work and help look for any warning signs.

Can't wait to spool the 'ol gals up and see what she's got now! Diver hitting the bottom and running gear this week so we will be able to get some good numbers!
    Last edited by rustybucket; 01-20-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Great thread. Thanks!
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Well, left the dock around 2 Saturday afternoon for a short shakedown trip. Overall engines ran great, good even temps on all cylinders. Full fuel aft, full water, about 1/8 tank fwd fuel. Overall I would say we were loaded about average, definitely not light, def not heavy.

Top speed was 25knts into the wind at WOT 2150. So we are still 200 rpms off where we need to be, and it felt like the boat was lugging. With a little prop work we should easily pickup those rpms and probably some more top speed as well. @2150rpm we were making 25knts, @1950rpms we were making 21knts, @1850rpms we were making 18knts

We are getting a little oil smoke on starboard engine, we are thinking maybe stuck ring, which should free up when we run her hard, or it could be blower seal. Really wish that blower seal was easier to inspect. These engines have been idled a lot lately and really need to stretch their legs for an extended period of time.

We got to really test out the newest version of Yacht Brain I've been working on for a few years now. Not to get too technical but it takes digital sensor data from the engines (currently only temps) and broadcasts them via wifi on the boats wifi network. So any device connected to the boat's wifi can access the data by entering an ip address in their browser, so iphone, ipad, computer, smart tv...etc. We had the engine temps running on the salon tv, an ipad on the bridge and an ipad in the engine room.

Here are the gauges shown on an ipad

Here they are on the tv

Last edited by rustybucket; 01-27-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL