Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Winter Service, Injector re-build re-tip, coolant filter add

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Got 2 coolant filters installed on the main engines. Was easy enough. I tied into an existing/empty plug after the water pump and returned to the top of the tank. I mounted the filters forward of the engines on the floor support cross members.

Filter mounting location, very easy access when in the ER.

This is the supply line. I did NOT drain the coolant to add this fitting. I had a crimped/zip tied short length of hose affixed to it. I unscrewed the existing plug and screwed this one in as quickly as possible. I estimate I lost less than half a cup of coolant in both engines combined (WEAR EYE PROTECTION if you do this, gravity is def against you and the coolant wanted to spray more than I had expected.

Here is the return location. I had to use heat on every single plug I removed, hence the burned paint around them. Amazing how a little heat makes them so easy to remove.

No pics of the filters attached but NAPA 4070 did indeed fit these filter heads.

Did not run the engines any to test for leaks (still waiting on a few tuneup parts), will update with progress when I do. Also, I plan on running these filters for approx 100hrs and then cutting them open. Will post pics here when I do.

My 8v71s have 1/4” plugs on each side of the Heat Exchanger, none on top. Im surprised you got enough flow through that. Also it seems like it would get plugged up with all the crap. Are your plugs larger?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    My 8v71s have 1/4” plugs on each side of the Heat Exchanger, none on top. Im surprised you got enough flow through that. Also it seems like it would get plugged up with all the crap. Are your plugs larger?
    Also, why did you tap into two plugs on top?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I don't think I'm following you. I returned my coolant to the top of the tank. It was fed from after the water pump. I would think you should be fine returning to the side/bottom..etc of the tank.

I have not noticed any clogging yet, you really think there is that much large particle junk flowing through the system?
    Last edited by rustybucket; 03-27-2020 at 03:24 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Also, why did you tap into two plugs on top?
    I did not tap either of the plugs in the top of the tank, both were there/plugged before I started.

In my pic the close fitting is coolant return, the far fitting is coolant tank pressure sensor. The goal for it was to trigger an alarm if coolant tank pressure dropped (indicating a blown hose and loss of coolant)
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL