Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Winter Service, Injector re-build re-tip, coolant filter add

Sunday mornin, after everything cooled off I was doing my post-seatrial check. Found the sources of 2 oil leaks we've known about for a while but were never able to locate, I'm super stoked about getting those stopped and one step closer to a clean, oil free bilge!

I checked the coolant tank levels, everything looked good, and I swear the coolant looked slightly 'clearer'. So I pulled off the two new coolant filters and dumped them into a bucket (that had previously had some diesel fuel in it, if you see any sheen in the pics that is where it came from)

What came out of them I would describe as silty/muddy and slightly rusty. There was definitely some sediment.

I could not seem to locate my filter cutter, so I've ordered a new one, it should be here by the end of the week and I'll cut the filters apart so we can see what is caught in the actual filter media. I'll post results here of that as well.

I'm not surprised at what they pulled out, even after only being ran for a couple of hours. I've seen similar results in almost every vehicle we've put these on.

The filters are not cheap, $20/ea but I'll probably change them after every run until they start showing cleaner on change.

For reference this fresh water coolant side was acid flushed, baking soda'd and water flushed 3 times 2 yrs ago. If you look at the coolant in the reservoir it looks a little cloudy but it is still nice and pink in color. It does not look anything like this nastiness that came out of the filters lol.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 01-27-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

awesome Rusty
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Filter cutter came in, popped the top off of one of them, pretty much what I expected, nothing large just lots of fine particulates. Feels like sandy/gritty mud between your fingers.

The filter element itself still had quite a bit of life to it, it was by no means stopped up. I will leave them on for a little longer next time, but glad I changed quick this time.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

The sediment that had settled into the bottom of the bucket was pretty NASTY!! This stuff can't be good for a cooling system. It had quite a bit of grit to it, not sure if it was sand from original bock casting or what.

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Crazy it pulled that much out in 3 or 4 hrs of run time. Makes me wanna go run the boat more to pull out more! I mean, that sounds like a good reason to have to run the boat to me, whatcha think?
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Impressive
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Crazy it pulled that much out in 3 or 4 hrs of run time. Makes me wanna go run the boat more to pull out more! I mean, that sounds like a good reason to have to run the boat to me, whatcha think?
    I had that issue on starboard motor. Two or three flushes with Penray over three years didn’t do much. Last summer, while rebuilding the water pump, I ran about a half box of cascade through the system (24 gal cap) for an hour. I dissolved the stuff in boiling water then added and filled. Did it twice same day. Don’t know how many years the stuff accumulated, but it’s been nice and purple since.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Got down to the boat Sunday. We pulled the props off and got our primary and our spare set over to Intercoastal Prop in Gulf Shores, AL. My local prop shop seems to have closed their doors for good, so Intercoastal is new to us.

He was scanning our primary set yesterday afternoon, should hear something from him today. He thinks we should be able to get the rpm's we need out of one of the sets. Both sets look good and are good quality Nibral props. Our primary set is a 32x32.5, our backup set is 31x33.

We need to pickup approx 200rpms to reach our rated rpm of 2350 heavy.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Shot down to the boat Late wed night, picked up the props Thursday and installed them thursday afternoon. Intercoastal was able to pull about 2" of pitch out of them and removed some cup.

COLD and windy seatrial early Friday morning and we are definitely moving in the right direction!!

We were medium loaded and hit 2300rpm at WOT. EGT's at wot were down from 1000ish to 800ish. Little/no black smoke was visible in our trail. The engines sounded and felt happier.

We are about 50-100rpm's off where I want to be, which is 2350 loaded heavy. So we are going to pull the props off again and have Intercoastal shave some diameter off for us.

Hope to get down this weekend to pull the props.

Here are our current numbers with 32 x 30 - 3 blade props

Wot 2300rpm @ 23.5knt
    2000rpm @ 19.5knt
    1950rpm @ 19knt
    500rpm twin 5.7
    500rpm single 4.5

Looks like we should end up cruising around 18.5 or so which is good for me! I'm super stoked about the slower 500rpm single troll speed of 4.5.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Thanks for this thread. The coolant filters really appeal to me. I'm going to copy you.

Coolant Filter Head.jpg
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA