Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1980 53' ED for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I wouldn’t spend a dime on survey without a quick sea trial first to make sure it s even worth surveying...
    Which brings up an interesting point..... Just about everywhere you run into "No sea trial without an accepted offer/executed contract".....

Chicken < - > egg..... Guess it depends how bad they want to sell it if they'll take you for a ride prior to making an offer?

Or do you make a deal subject to quick sea trial with right of refusal and then a survey? Would you then be waiting for a deposit back? Why go through all the trouble?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Every boat I bought or every boat I was involved in the purchased of, the offer and contract was subject to sea trial before survey (hull and mechanical)

I would almost never spend thousands on surveys without being sure the boat is worth surveying. Too many buyers have been tricked by sellers and brokers representing boats as “ready to cruise” only to find out that engines run rough, overheat or have massive vibration. You don’t need a surveyor to find this out.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Agree with Pascal 100%. I actually offered and covered the fuel costs for a ride before engaging a surveyor. This whole approach of spending thousands before knowing if the boat is at all worth it is crazy. Would you put a deposit down on a house before looking at the inside?
    John
    1981 58 Yachtfish Hull 477
    Wickford RI

As a surveyor I suggest to Brokers all the time to do the engine survey before I do my survey for the same reason Pascal stated, however I think some Brokers are just lazy and don’t want to invest 2 days to complete a deal on a boat. I don’t have a lot of times that the engines are found bad while I have already started my survey, but if the boat has gas engines I find that at least half the time the engine survey comes up with engine problems. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I get the part about not doing a survey before a short sea trial. My point is that more often than not no boat rides are given until there is a signed contract with a deposit.

I would like to do a quick sea trial and THEN decide whether it's worth getting into the dealing without wasting a lot of time going back and forth and signing paperwork if the thing turns out to be a dog.

How do our resident brokers feel about that? Thanks.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I made the mistake of surveying my first candidate boat without checking it out more in detail myself. $3000 gone. The boat hadn't run in a few years, didn't even make it to 2000 RPM without overheating. Smoking the whole way of course. I get mad every time I think about that boat. Hull was in good condition, but mechanically in very poor shape.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I get the part about not doing a survey before a short sea trial. My point is that more often than not no boat rides are given until there is a signed contract with a deposit.

I would like to do a quick sea trial and THEN decide whether it's worth getting into the dealing without wasting a lot of time going back and forth and signing paperwork if the thing turns out to be a dog.

How do our resident brokers feel about that? Thanks.
    A sea trial without a signed contract and deposit is rarely going to happen and for good reasons. A deposit held in escrow by the broker shows the buyer is serious.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Unless it was a local person through a friend or whatever, I wouldn't do a sea trial without some commitment from the buyer. But I wouldn't force them to do a survey the same day. Since I actively use my boat, the trial and survey can happen just about anytime. I have only had two boats surveyed, the second one I bought, and in both cases scheduling was a problem because the owners weren't available. With the first boat, the owner only gave me a one day window, but I had a lot of leeway with the second boat and flew up and even slept on it, two weeks before the survey. I had already made deposits in both cases. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have agreed to the terms with the first boat.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I know you cannot give joy rides to every tire kicker ,but if the potential buyer were to pay for a sea trial (captain,fuel) before making an offer , Looks like it would speed up the process. You can survey etc,sign papers etc,but if the boat will not perform , everyone waste time ?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    I know you cannot give joy rides to every tire kicker ,but if the potential buyer were to pay for a sea trial (captain,fuel) before making an offer , Looks like it would speed up the process. You can survey etc,sign papers etc,but if the boat will not perform , everyone waste time ?
    That isn't a commitment. The alleged buyer would have to convince me that they want to buy the boat, and not only buy the boat, but buy it at a price I am willing to sell it at. If that isn't established up front, then what is the purpose of going any further? Offers are hardly binding, but they at least establish that, and the deposit establishes commitment.

To ask the seller to arrange a sea trial without any commitment (to the purchase of the boat) on your part is asking a lot. Wouldn't you be a bit leery of a buyer that can't even make a deposit? Won't or can't, it is the same the same difference to the seller.

All we were saying is to make the offer contingent on a sea-trial prior to the survey, so that you are not out the money for a survey of a boat that can't even run. Don't be rushed by the seller to do it all the same day. And prior to the offer, inspect the boat thoroughly yourself. Again, don't be rushed by the seller.

Getting and accepting an offer is a big deal, and any honest seller will have no problem with a sea trial prior to the survey, and a second sea trial during the survey (which shows even more commitment).

I don't think it is the cost of fuel on the seller's mind. It is the waste of time.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL