Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

What's the deal with Navionics?

I have Navionics Platinum on my plotters, iPhone and Macbook. Seems like there're updates almost daily. And updated charts are what you're paying for, right? Well, I also subscribe to the weekly USCG District 7 Local Notice to Mariners. I consult it anytime I'm leaving the dock and have for thirty years.

This week's LNM is week 47/2019. As I am headed down to Hilton Head for Thanksgiving, I checked the notices against my updated Navionics charts for a traditional trouble spot, the Dawho River. I was surprised to learn that a LNM notice from week 3/2017 about an added ATON (R114) is not charted. That notice has been published unchanged for more than 2-1/2 years! And, this isn't the first discrepancy of this type I've found before.

I dropped Navionics an email and got the typical corporate response. So, I thought I was paying Navionics to do the leg work. Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: What's the deal with Navionics?

I'm still using the one time payment version that no longer receives updates. I'm just happy it still works when I turn it on as I've not bought into the upgrade with monthly fees. Lots of people are very angry to have that happening to them.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I'm still using the one time payment version that no longer receives updates. I'm just happy it still works when I turn it on as I've not bought into the upgrade with monthly fees. Lots of people are very angry to have that happening to them.
    Be aware, if you attempt to update it the software will read the expiration date and your ride will be done. Btw, just got a reply from navionics that the mark I referenced didn’t exist, therefore, not charted. I sent them a picture of the mark that I extracted from a video I took last summer when I was in .4’ of water on the Dawho River. In a related theme, I finally got navionics to eliminate Buzzards Roost Marina on the Stono R. It took four months to eliminate a marina that’s been gone for at least 15 years.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I use active captain app that as a Garmin owner gives my phone and tablet full details. Works very well exploring areas and services without changing display on GPS and/or trying to navigate, zoom, and click icons through GPS display.GPS does it's job and I have touch screen exploring on other device, again, without interrupting seeing the channel I want to stay in on the GPS.

And to think we used to do this with just a chartbook and a pair of binoculars.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have both and know how to use them. Plus can do distance based on speed offshore in fog and find inlet without GPS.

My 68 Firebird 400 is stick and can drive that too!

You are correct in that is all a lost art. Just like docking without a bow thruster.

We all did that. That’s not the point, is it? Point is the product purports to offer up to date navigational data when it clearly has gaps that could easily lead to property damage or injury. That I grew up with charts and dividers is probably why I find this stuff unacceptable. Newbies who depend on this stuff will pay a price.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    We all did that. That’s not the point, is it?
    I don't think we all did. But it sure is fun to get you all riled up

And I get your point. If you pay for updates, they should actually update it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI