Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Hilton Head To Annapolis

I assume you know the best spots for fuel around HH. If you decided to stop on the south side of Chas, St. Johns Yacht Harbor is about a mile off the ICW at Elliott Cut turning on G19 (which is also incorrectly charted on Navionics for last 6 mos.) and across from R16A. The manager is a good guy, and I think I can get you fuel @ .35 off pump price. Big plus: It's the cleanest fuel you'll likely see anywhere. Negative: You can't do the bird thing there; strong current into the fuel dock. Rate is $2/ft less the usual discounts. Manager told me his transient business if off a bit, so I'm sure he'd be glad to show appreciation with some cheaper fuel. SJYH is a nice facility.

Based on your dates, I'll be in Vegas (12-16th) and not able to take you to a real BBQ joint. However, everyone knows about Duke's and the marina has a nice car.

Best clean and reasonably priced fuel north is Leland Oil in McClellanville, if you can get in. Then Osprey Marina around Socastee.

Give me a shout if I can set you up.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 11-22-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks again, Robert. Given this one has been repowered with Cummins 6CTA8.3's and carries 650 gallons of fuel, I don't see many fuel stops on this trip. I assume it'll get better than 1MPG at hull speed. I'll do my homework over the next several days and see where fuel is cheapest and start making reservations once a firm go date is given.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Another thing to consider if the wind is blowing is they won't open the Alligator River Bridge if It's blowing over 20 to 25 knots I believe. I've been forced to turn around and go back to Bellhaven a couple time to wait out the weather before. Which is Ironic since the weather is the whole reason I went that way in the first place. Not sure if this is still the case but definitely look into it.

I started running the Pamlico sound instead for this reason. Problem there though if it's blowing hard enough to shut the bridge down it gets rough as hell in the sound and is loaded with traps at certain times of year also.

Southport is great with nice places to eat and its a short ride to to slip outside again at Masonboro Inlet between Carolina Beach and Wrightsville to make a short run to Beaufort.

Do NOT use Carolina Beach inlet without local Knowledge. We went in and out of there a few times last summer in our 33 Hydra Sports and the markers have you hugging the northern shoreline and it's pretty skinny water in a few spots. Imagine St Augustine with 10X the Pucker Factor. Not a big deal in a Outboard Boat but I definitely would've been nervous in a big inboard boat.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    Another thing to consider if the wind is blowing is they won't open the Alligator River Bridge if It's blowing over 20 to 25 knots I believe. I've been forced to turn around and go back to Bellhaven a couple time to wait out the weather before. Which is Ironic since the weather is the whole reason I went that way in the first place. Not sure if this is still the case but definitely look into it.

I started running the Pamlico sound instead for this reason. Problem there though if it's blowing hard enough to shut the bridge down it gets rough as hell in the sound and is loaded with traps at certain times of year also.

Southport is great with nice places to eat and its a short ride to to slip outside again at Masonboro Inlet between Carolina Beach and Wrightsville to make a short run to Beaufort.

Do NOT use Carolina Beach inlet without local Knowledge. We went in and out of there a few times last summer in our 33 Hydra Sports and the markers have you hugging the northern shoreline and it's pretty skinny water in a few spots. Imagine St Augustine with 10X the Pucker Factor. Not a big deal in a Outboard Boat but I definitely would've been nervous in a big inboard boat.

Tony
    Thanks for the input. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't running Pamlico Sound result in having to go outside at Oregon Inlet and running on up to Chesapeake?

I don't think I really want to do that in 25 knot winds. No doubt running this time of year comes with its challenges. I'd really prefer not spending Christmas in Carolina, but it would beat spending it as the subject of a rescue/recovery mission.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Pamlico Sound to probably Manteo and then Albemarle sound to North River through Coinjock to Albemarle & Chesapeake Canal and up.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Pamlico Sound to probably Manteo and then Albemarle sound to North River through Coinjock to Albemarle & Chesapeake Canal and up.
    I see that route meets up at the same spot on the ICW. Hadn't honestly paid attention to that route. I'll run the numbers, but it looks to me like that might be the better way to go.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

We always use the Pamlico sound route if it has to be inside.
    If the weather is decent I prefer using Oregon Inlet to get to the sounds, southbound ending at Hatteras or Beaufort and nothbound to Rudee inlet or Ocean City MD or home to OCNJ.
    Hate to waste the miles going up to Manteo and then all the way back to OI.

This time of year I stay inside unless there's no wind.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

X3 on what Jammin’ said, easy ride. Be sure to pay close attention at the sharp port bend @ marker 65”A” after Howard bay...stay heavy to port, lots of starboard shocking there. This pic was June at 1/2 tide
    Attached Images
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

Shoaling...But possibly “Shocking”. Damn autocorrect!
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

The one thing you want to do, especially this time of year, is stay out of the Dismal Swamp Canal route.