Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Hilton Head To Annapolis

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    The one thing you want to do, especially this time of year, is stay out of the Dismal Swamp Canal route.
    Is there an option other than outside? I've always staid outside for expedience, plus I had a 65 foot flagpole which slows things down....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Thanks Robert. I haven’t checked notices yet, and it would tickle me if the weather allows running outside. We’ll make that determination the night before.

Anybody know if there’s a REAL NC Carolina BBQ joint on the ICW? I could use a fix.
    Carolina beach, NC has a restaurant/pub call lazy pirate bar. I don't know about BBQ, but the seafood gumbo and the she-crab chowder are award winners. Freshest seafood I ever ate. I watched the fishermen catch flounder (with a spear) just outside of Snow's Cut....

mderlick

Freebird. Just like Jammin said, you run the Pamlico Sound around to the North into the Albemarle Sound and on into Coinjock. It to me is easier then the right canals past Bell Haven. Also, just like mderlick mentioned the Lazy Pirate is good place to eat. Ate there last summer with my family. The Sea Witch Cafe was good and reasonable also. But the Lazy Pirate might be better this time of year. It’s all indoors where the Sea Witch is more open and has a stage and outside seating. I’ve been to both multiple times and thh Th e food and service were great each time. On another note: a guy contacted me about moving his 52 Bluewater from Pittsburgh PA down the Ohio River to Cincinnati OH because he sold it. Was looking for either a transport Company or a captain. Needs to be moved like yesterday! Would you or anyone you know be interested in the move?Tony

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    Freebird. Just like Jammin said, you run the Pamlico Sound around to the North into the Albemarle Sound and on into Coinjock. It to me is easier then the right canals past Bell Haven. Also, just like mderlick mentioned the Lazy Pirate is good place to eat. Ate there last summer with my family. The Sea Witch Cafe was good and reasonable also. But the Lazy Pirate might be better this time of year. It’s all indoors where the Sea Witch is more open and has a stage and outside seating. I’ve been to both multiple times and thh Th e food and service were great each time. On another note: a guy contacted me about moving his 52 Bluewater from Pittsburgh PA down the Ohio River to Cincinnati OH because he sold it. Was looking for either a transport Company or a captain. Needs to be moved like yesterday! Would you or anyone you know be interested in the move?Tony
    Thanks, Tony. When I charted this route, I just did it with 100 mile intervals on the ICW and didn't look at alternate routes. I'm moving a 53MY from Mobile to Sarasota on 12/03, and unless something changes, this trip will begin on or about 12/12. With that, it's extremely doubtful I can get that one moved before the end of the year unless he wants to make it worth my while to spend Christmas on his boat.

I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 11-25-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Just a quick update. Replacement transmission was delayed, so the start date is being pushed back from this Thursday to most likely after Christmas. Will update once a firm date has been established.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Just a quick update. Replacement transmission was delayed, so the start date is being pushed back from this Thursday to most likely after Christmas. Will update once a firm date has been established.
    Hope you’ll stop by on your way. I can launch the tender to assist with your preferred single engine approach.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Hope you’ll stop by on your way. I can launch the tender to assist with your preferred single engine approach.
    Ha ha!
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Actually he prefers to just drift in, but he'll dock on one if he absolutely has to.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    That would take all the fun out of it. Then again, I've never had to run a convertible on one engine. Maybe I'll disconnect the rudders and see if I can perfect that approach so I don't need TowBoat US next time it happens. I could have had dinner two hours earlier.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Getting too late by then. Typical NE by the first second week of January gets single digit temperatures by then. Ice becomes a big problem especially in fresh water. Every wave you take will freeze on the the boat. I’ve had it where I had someone beating on the center window of the enclosure just to knock the ice off to see. Just the normal spray covers everything with ice. I’ve had it where I couldn’t even get off the boat. The guy stick to that schedule it will be brutal.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present