Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toilet Paper?

Toilet Paper?

Okay live aboards, what do you use? We have GM pumps and plan to live aboard in the summer so these are the questions that I think of of in the early hours.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

2. Re: Toilet Paper?

Never had any problems using regular septic-safe TP purchased at the grocery store; 3 different head systems. Just keep the wads small, and add plenty of water.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Re: Toilet Paper?

Ditto. You can do a test. Take a square and put it in small Tupperware container filled with water. Shake it and let it set for few minutes. If paper appears to be dissolving... well there’s your answer. Single ply definitely easier on the system (boat) if not on the dispenser.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Single ply.....and don't let the grandchildren near the heads!

POM paper from Sams Club in the industrial sized box.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You can either buy the expensive "safe" paper designated for those heads, or as mentioned above, the absolutely cheapest you can find, like no-brand generic single-ply. Nothing in between.

DAN

Quote Originally Posted by drburke View Post
    You can either buy the expensive "safe" paper designated for those heads, or as mentioned above, the absolutely cheapest you can find, like no-brand generic single-ply. Nothing in between.

DAN
    Like the no-name toilet paper the injun bought at the trading post. Came back next complaining:

Me have'em name for no-name toilet paper. Me call it John Wayne toilet paper. It rough, tough and no take'em shit off Indians.

Well anyway, that's the moon floss you're looking for.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Judging by the size of the motors and shredders I don’t think the GM pumps are more sensitive to TP than others. If anything Vacuflush are probably as sensitive as it gets and I ve been using just about anything for the last 20 years incl charmin, Scott or whatever...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The caveat to Pascal's post is that with vacuflush or headhunter pressurized systems almost anything will flush since it is just push or pull pressure. The trick is pumping the holding tank. Pumping out at marinas with strong pressure is fine and will clear the tank.

Multi-ply TP and worse solids are difficult for your overboard discharge pump system to move out. That's where the price of nicer toilet paper is paid.

Freestyle
    1986 62 CPMY (54MY with ext.)
    Tampa

I have switched to the RV TP that they sell at Walmart in the Automotive Section. It dissolves. Never any issues.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"