Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Black water tank gauge 60c

Did the series 1 60’ convertible come equipped with a waste tank level gauge? If not, can one be retrofitted? On my 1983 the hoses from the galley maid head pumps disappear into a tank on the forward edge of the engine room just aft of the pump room. Is the tank physically in the belly of the boat in the engine room?
    PHOENIX1983 60C Enclosed Bridge Hull #365Newport Beach CA

Re: Black water tank gauge 60c

It came with a 3/4 full light. There was or maybe still is, a 1/4" tube that extends down into the tank and connects to what looks like a red hockey puck which contains a vacuum switch. When the level got to 3/4 full, the switch activated a light in the head.

Those things rotted off in the tank. Your best bet is to install a Hart Tank Tender as that is the only thing that will not foul and fail in a waste tank.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Mine doesn't have one amd no sign of one from the factory. I don't recall seeing anything in the boat schematics either. The tank is located right where you describe and runs perpendicular to stringers. I plan on imstallimg a hart tank tender someday. Way better than the factory Hatteras setup.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

Where was the light that illuminated located? I don’t recall ever seeing one but then again after 2 years of ownership I just opened a drawer that apparently I never had before, full of the PO’s treasures.

No gauge originally installed that I know of, just the problematical 3/4 full light.
    I have a Hart Tank Tender system with lines to all fuel, water (and black water) tanks.
    So far, flawless operation for the fifteen years we have owned her and I've never had to fool with them for any reason
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

With the hart system, don’t you need to multiply inches to calculate remaining gallons?

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    With the hart system, don’t you need to multiply inches to calculate remaining gallons?
    Most tanks are not square and linear so you will need to calibrate to come up with a tank chart. I filled my waste and water tanks with a hose and took readings after each five gallons. Fuel you can do the same way. Just stop when fueling to take readings. Eventually you will come up with a chart to convert inches to gallons.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI