Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Windscreen Wiper Issue

The middle 32 volt windscreen wiper did not work and fuse was blown. Replaced fuse with 10amp fuse and wiper now works slowly compared to the other two wipers.

I am wondering if there might be a way to loosen up the motor shaft mechanism from the outside. ie. remove blade and panagraph arm and clean/oil shaft mechanism. Removing the old motor via the wheelhouse overhead cabinetry looks to be difficult. So will try easiest methods first.

This would probably be the first time anyone has looked at the wipers/arms/motors in 35 years. Wiper blades are ok.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 11-17-2019 at 04:49 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Re: Windscreen Wiper Issue

You’re probably right as far as nobody touching them since the boat was new. If you can get the arms removed I would do exactly that, drop a few drops of penetrating oil and see if it will help loosen the shaft.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Windscreen Wiper Issue

I was able to shift the old external black shaft rubber boot and spray some WD-40 down all of the three motor shafts. I also sprayed some WD-40 on all of the internal moving hinges. This had the effect of eliminating all of the squeaking.

The internal motors, wiring, moving arms, wiring and copper window washer tubing were all in pristine factory condition even after 35 years. The middle wiper seemed to enjoy the exercise and was moving relatively freely by the end.

There was an awful lot of corrosion/dirt and salt buildup under each shaft's rubber boot. The external spacer on the thin panagraph arm appears to be badly rusted. Crazy such a component was made with iron in it. I’ll be in touch with Sam to have the bits sent out here.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 11-17-2019 at 04:57 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.