Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Generator Muffler Advice

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Like I said I’m no artist, the water will exit on the low side because of it’s weight and the exhaust fumes will go out 6 inches above. The water just slides out and the exhaust just goes out above and there is no noise on the side of the the whole hopefully that makes sense
    My cell is 650-619-2308 if you need to discuss. Rusty
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'm going to file this away as a solution if it becomes a problem. I appreciate the info.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

In that illustration there is no anti syphon. I would worry about that.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I forget how much more the new muffler's exhaust went down into the chamber but it was obvious. I also went with the next size up per a recommendation from Centec.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    In that illustration there is no anti syphon. I would worry about that.
    Good catch Glory. You are 100% correct. I left that out of the diagram by accident. One must be added so water doesn’t flow back into the generator.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The only disadvantage I see is that it might be more difficult to note raw water discharge without the exhaust gas spray effect. In my case, I can look down from the flybridge underway and verify all is well. Probably of no consequence; I’d have to be looking over at just the right time to prevent an overheat situation. Hopefully, I’d have a sensor shut down. But it’s worth noting the 70’ Hatteras next to me has a locked-up generator because the mate rerouted the raw water intake to a distant, but more accessible, seacock incapable of supplying sufficient volume. The impeller melted. Of course, they weren’t looking overboard to see the cloud of burning oil until they figured out why I was shouting and so aggressively gesticulating. Lucky there was no fire. Nevertheless, thousands in damage or maybe total loss of a 20KW unit. Rusty, don’t mean to imply your modification is unsound in any way.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    The only disadvantage I see is that it might be more difficult to note raw water discharge without the exhaust gas spray effect. In my case, I can look down from the flybridge underway and verify all is well. Probably of no consequence; I’d have to be looking over at just the right time to prevent an overheat situation. Hopefully, I’d have a sensor shut down. But it’s worth noting the 70’ Hatteras next to me has a locked-up generator because the mate rerouted the raw water intake to a distant, but more accessible, seacock incapable of supplying sufficient volume. The impeller melted. Of course, they weren’t looking overboard to see the cloud of burning oil until they figured out why I was shouting and so aggressively gesticulating. Lucky there was no fire. Nevertheless, thousands in damage or maybe total loss of a 20KW unit. Rusty, don’t mean to imply your modification is unsound in any way.
    No issues Robert. I did it on my Chris Craft and had it for 18 years with no issues. 5 years on the Hat so far with no problems. Both generators have shut down alarms that prevent over heating and low oil pressure.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I think I need to operate on the premise that anything I touch will turn to shit. The muffler looks fine to me, but I've got a new one coming. The discharge tube goes almost to the bottom of the canister. The aluminum elbow is quite badly corroded. I think I'll plumb a drain petcock into the muffler so if the generator ever fails to start soon enough, I can drain the accumulated water out of the muffler.
    Attached Images
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    I think I need to operate on the premise that anything I touch will turn to shit. The muffler looks fine to me, but I've got a new one coming. The discharge tube goes almost to the bottom of the canister. The aluminum elbow is quite badly corroded. I think I'll plumb a drain petcock into the muffler so if the generator ever fails to start soon enough, I can drain the accumulated water out of the muffler.
    Be easier to just shut the seacock you have, right?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Be easier to just shut the seacock you have, right?
    Can’t edit from phone. Meant to add I can’t imagine draining soot into my ER.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC