Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Generator Muffler Advice

Centek Vernalift muffler. I'm replacing the exhaust hoses. Do I just replace the muffler too while I'm there because it's 18 years old, or do they never go bad?
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Re: Generator Muffler Advice

We replaced ours because the exhaust outlet pipe did not go deep enough into the muffler for the water to cover it adequately. As a result the generator would "bark" once in a while. Once the muffler was replaced with a new one, all was well. But I did check the penetration of the exhaust pipe into the muffler, and we went with the next size up. The new one was all glass, the old one had pipe and associated fittings.

Here is the old one;

dsc052601.jpg
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 11-16-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

I agree with Dan. The new ones are all fiberglass and will never corrode. It’s a very inexpensive piece of goods to change out if you’ve gone this far.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

My rule is if it crosses your mind to replace an item, replace. Too inexpensive of a part not to replace or upgrade while you're doing the other work. Also, we always use silicone hose when we can.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    We replaced ours because the exhaust outlet pipe did not go deep enough into the muffler for the water to cover it adequately.
    Dan, how far below the top of the muffler did the outlet pipe extend on the new one? I am taking it out tomorrow to examine it. It needs to come out anyway for me to remove the 8D battery just forward of it. I enjoyed your videos of crossing to the Bahamas.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

You convinced me. I ordered a muffler.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Does the exhaust and water go through the side of the boat or all the way out through the Stern? If it goes through the side I have a way to set up your muffler and exit hoses so that there will be virtually no sound coming out of the side of the boat. No bubbling no splashing no hissing no gurgling.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It comes out of the side. It's an 8K Westerbeke with a sound shield. I wouldn't exactly call it quiet, but most of the noise I notice is from the engine and not the exhaust, but as Ross Perot said, I'm all ears.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

I’m not a great artist but I’ll put something down and take a photo of it and send it to you on this post. If you have any questions you can private message me and I’ll give you my telephone number and we can discuss it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Like I said I’m no artist, the water will exit on the low side because of it’s weight and the exhaust fumes will go out 6 inches above. The water just slides out and the exhaust just goes out above and there is no noise on the side of the the whole hopefully that makes sense
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California