Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Galley Maid water pump won’t shut off

New boat, owner is learning about all systems. I ran my water tank dry this morning. Shut the pump breaker off and refilled. Purged lines and now the pump won’t shut off. Any ideas for my next step?

Re: Galley Maid water pump won’t shut off

Quote Originally Posted by gmcop1 View Post
    New boat, owner is learning about all systems. I ran my water tank dry this morning. Shut the pump breaker off and refilled. Purged lines and now the pump won’t shut off. Any ideas for my next step?
    If you have filters check and clean them. You may have clogged them by picking up the crap at the bottom of the tank. If you don’t have filters you will have to fill the pump with water. Look for the bolt at the top of the pump where the hose is connected. It should say prime. Remove it and fill with water to prime the pump. Replace and start the pump. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Can’t run those pumps dry for very long. Guessing stator is gone and pump can’t build pressure. Take end off and see if stator and rotor are fitting loosely; should be a slip fit. If loose, a new stator should do it. Lube it up good with silicone grease or prime it before running.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

All pumps should have a pressure switch that cuts out when pressure gets too low. These have a metal lever stem on the side of them to start them back up after pressure loss. This is a safety feature so the pump does not continue to run after you run the tank dry. Without it, the pump will continue to run and ruin a stator. I find that many replace this pressure switch with what they find off the shelf at Homo Cheapo and those do not have that feature.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    If you have filters check and clean them. You may have clogged them by picking up the crap at the bottom of the tank. .
    I m betting on damaged stator as well

That said, I don’t see how low tank level will cause filter or strainer to clog. The pick up is always at the bottom of the tank with whatever crap is in there. Tank level is irrelevant.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I m betting on damaged stator as well

That said, I don’t see how low tank level will cause filter or strainer to clog. The pick up is always at the bottom of the tank with whatever crap is in there. Tank level is irrelevant.
    It’s happened to me that’s why I mentioned it.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Sky Cheney

Does pump run with a higher pitch and faster than before? If so, it’s a burned stator, as Robert and Pascal said. Raz will repair for $120, or sell you a new stator for $60.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    Does pump run with a higher pitch and faster than before? If so, it’s a burned stator, as Robert and Pascal said. Raz will repair for $120, or sell you a new stator for $60.
    And buy a spare stator to carry with you. If you don't, you'll be sure to need one when you're in the middle of nowhere.
    Sky Cheney

Spare stator and rotor, if your rotor is plastic. I got a bronze one from Raz Marine.

http://razmarinepumps.com/raz-marine-pump-parts.shtml

Price was $172. Galley Maid may have them as well.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL