Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Turbo Failure

Re: Turbo Failure

A pic of the exhaust side might help. It almost looks like part of the internal volute but I can't say I've ever seen them fail like that before.

A bigger pic of any of them would help too.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I am in the process of having my Port Side turbo's replaced......so, I can only offer limited knowledge.
    In my search I also called Naples turbo. They quoted me a price of 1,050.00 per turbo, which at first I thought was a steal based on two other quotes for $1,950.00 and $1,998.00. But these were Chi-Comm turbo's and in my research of Customer reviews and online turbo forums the consensus of those who bought Chi-Comm said they were not balanced properly, can disintegrate, and did not last.

That cured me fast and I decided to get Garrett replacement turbo's.

Call Derek at East Coast Diesel Service 1-516-887-9220. Derek was very knowledgeable, patient, and helped me through the process.

Best of luck,
    R

Here's a picture of the damage to the housing itself. Hard to see in there or get a good pic. Not sure how to make it bigger as an attachment. Sorry.

Pieces are definitely not band clamp. They look like part of a casting.

Yes, the boat has idled a lot this year. The last time it went out it never got over 1200. it idles for 10 to 15 minutes getting back into the marina every time it goes out. The motor ran great before I pulled the turbo off.

The shop here in Knoxville said they couldn't build it and couldn't find a replacement.

The pieces were between the exhaust inlet and the blades. Yes, the blades are damaged.

The air side is undamaged and the turbo feels tight, spins free and has minimal end play.
    Attached Images

Still looks like part of the volute. Can we see a pic of the exhaust exit too? I'm speculating, but you have a corrosion problem.

If the turbine blades are damaged the turbo is in bad shape. I'm looking into a replacement for you, but haven't found an answer yet.

1970 36C375

Avenger, no there is no corrosion present.

You can't see much from the outlet side. Just damage to the fins on the incoming side.

Thanks for your help!

Now I know why the number looks familiar. The exhaust housing appears to be obsolete. I'm trying to talk to someone in engineering to see if we can substitute a different A/R ratio housing without causing a problem. I'll let you know if I get any good answers.

1970 36C375

Try DMS Turbo in West Palm Beach...
    They're old school so you have to call them, Dave 561-644-6537
    One of their specialties is to reline turbo housings bringing them back into spec.
    Getting ready to send him our CAT turbos to bring them back to spec, or better, because we're at 5,000 hrs and our boost numbers are approaching the low range of "in spec".
    The housings wear away from the heat and they will match it up with a new cartridge for better performance.
    Many years ago they did our 8v92 turbos and it was a huge improvement over the turbos from J & T, less smoke with more power.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks Avenger. Cricket, if Avenger cant get something I will give them a call. Thanks.