Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stanchions

Stanchions

I am ready to redo the stanchions on the flybridge in the back. A couple are leaking so I am going to pull out all 4, hole drill, fill with epoxy and remount using backing plates (on the aft deck ceiling). I was planning on using WestSystem products. Any tips on what filler to use? Essentially, I am going to use a hole saw to cut 4" holes leaving the bottom skin and then remove another 1/2" of core on the sides of the holes and fill with epoxy. After that cures, I will drill holes for the stanchion bases and use bolts and a backing plate on the underside.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Stanchions

Might I suggest removing the core in that area completely and filling it with epoxy. This way if it leaks again it won’t enter the core and it will make those areas much stronger.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The West Colodial Silica is the strongest of the fillers, but cannot be sanded to a smooth surface. If you do the bulk of the filling with that, then use 410 filler for final fairing. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

That is my intent, to remove the core and fill the holes entirely with epoxy. I meant what kind of WestSystem filler to mix with the epoxy.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    The West Colodial Silica is the strongest of the fillers, but cannot be sanded to a smooth surface. If you do the bulk of the filling with that, then use 410 filler for final fairing. John
    This will work, thanks. Actually, the flybridge has a non slip surface so I may not have to use the 410.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

The combination of West epoxy and colloidal silica is roughly as hard as granite. Keep that in mind when you mix up the compound. There is some good information online from Gougeon Bros about mixing their various fillers. That combination is tough as nails but difficult to work once set up.

I would not fill a 4 inch hole with epoxy mixed with filler, it's way to big of an area. My suggestion is either to epoxy Coosa board or G10 fiberglass into those holes. No matter what you're still going to have to glass over the repairs or just the seems if you epoxy the skin back down. the seems or everything is going to crack.
    Think the suggestion of doing the entire area night be best, peel the skin so you can glue it back down, and repalce the bad balsa with Coosa or another foam core and or G10 where the stanchions mount.
    Also, you do not need to buy West's over priced fillers, regular Cabosil works great. We've been mixing wood flour and cabosil and 3m glass bubbles together for years for almost all of our projects/repairs, have moved away from microballoons.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Personally I would dig out the hole completely and remove the balsa and fill with g10 1” board. And then finish with 1708 and epoxy. I wouldn’t be shocked though if the core is wet. G10 can be drilled and taped.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

These are all good suggestions. Let us all know what you decide and send photos. Best of luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If it's a smaller spot you could try the gorilla glue method. I had just re bed my stanchions this past season, I left everything together and moved in one piece after unscrewing from the bases and side rails. All my screws were tight except one and I sounded each spot with good results so I layed some nice beads of 3m 4000 and screwed it back down.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.