Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Failure

Turbo Failure

When I pulled up the carpet I noticed a small exhaust leak coming from between the exhaust and air side on the port outboard turbo. I pulled it off and low and behold their were metal parts inside and a lot of oil on the exhaust side. 2 pieces found inside the turbo are laying on the air inlet side of the turbo in the picture. My question is, what in the hell are they? Don't look like anything inside the head. No way the big ones could have passed through the exhaust valves... Is it part of the turbo? What would have made it come apart?

And of course my local shop can't find a replacement. I see online that Naples Turbo has a replacement for cheap. I think it was right over a grand. Does anyone have experience with them?

Thanks

Tag Port Motor Outside Bank.jpgTurbo.jpg

Re: Turbo Failure

any pics of the metal pieces?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

They're laying on the turbo in the 2nd picture. You can see them laying around the air intake. To me they appear to have the same circumference as the turbo casings around the center.

Here's the link by itself.Turbo.jpg

https://naplesturbo.com/shop/Turbo_Garrett_TH08A64_408140-0001

T
    hey also show a link for an original Garret but it says call for availability. They are closed fro the rest of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    https://naplesturbo.com/shop/Turbo_Garrett_TH08A64_408140-0001

T
    hey also show a link for an original Garret but it says call for availability. They are closed fro the rest of the week.
    Those pieces look like a band clamp. Are the clamps still on? A small exhaust leak can cut through them easy.

I hate this sounds so negative, but...those turbos are all over the place on the web at same price. Figure they're ChiCom. You could likely rebuild yours. Also, have you tried a DD distributor? I think I'd like to have an OEM rebuilt if what you're looking at is an Alibaba special. Or you could just get it from Walmart, and they're open all week: https://www.walmart.com/ip/NEW-TURBO...1405/115038577 . Pretty much assures you it's Chinese, right? Plus, I don't see anything about a core charge.

Right, Naples Turbo has a say in the process.

"We call our aftermarket products “generic” as we order them without any names or markings so that our customers can resell them if they wish. But rest assured, they are not just any ordinary aftermarkets. We hold our suppliers to very high standards and quality that is just as good as the name brands or sometimes even better."

Total BS. Might be a good turbo. Let us know.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 11-14-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Take it to a turbo shop and have it rebuilt for $400. Get new clamps and put it back on. I agree that those parts did not come out of that turbo.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Email Scrod on this forum and ask him. He is in the turbo business and he has a Hatteras also.

"Scrod" aka "Avenger".......................Pat

Where were the metal pieces located when you took the turbo off?

I'm not certain you have a bad turbo. Oil on the exhaust side can just be from excessive idle.

Wiggle the turbo shaft, how much play do you have? Spin the turbine, is it really rough/wobbly? Is there any damage to the blades?

Last time you ran the boat what rpm did you do and for how long (approx of course)
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Where the parts were located in the turbo is critical in determining where they came from. I've never had that particular turbo apart but as far as I know there is no internal component to the band clamp. It's possible it could be the flange of the turbo where the exhaust and intake portions connect, hence the exhaust leak from the turbo. It should be pretty easy to pull apart. If you are not comfortable with that, take it to a turbo shop. Way less expensive than buying new and they can possibly source replacement housing parts if that it the issue.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)