Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sanihose removal and reuse

What are your most successful methods for removing sanihose connections with minimal damage to allow successful leak free reattachment?

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Re: Sanihose removal and reuse

For us it seams to depend on the type of hose and how old it is. Sometimes if it will come off without too much heat from the heat gun it can be reused.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    What are your most successful methods for removing sanihose connections with minimal damage to allow successful leak free reattachment?

Thanks,

George
    Sorta vague, don't you think?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Sorta vague, don't you think?
    I am doing maintenance on my vacuflush systems now and my shower sumps afterwards. They all use the thick white sanitation hoses which as we all know are very stiff and difficult to remove and attach from and to the hose barbs. I have read about using hot water, heat guns, flames, fancy hose pliers, etc. and I am wondering what works for you guys, especially if the objective is maintenance without hose replacement. The initial vacuflush project is to address vacuum leaks.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    I am doing maintenance on my vacuflush systems now and my shower sumps afterwards. They all use the thick white sanitation hoses which as we all know are very stiff and difficult to remove and attach from and to the hose barbs. I have read about using hot water, heat guns, flames, fancy hose pliers, etc. and I am wondering what works for you guys, especially if the objective is maintenance without hose replacement. The initial vacuflush project is to address vacuum leaks.George
    Flames? Tell me more. The white sani hose can’t take a lot of heat—definitely no flames. But I use a heat gun all the time on them. Just warm ‘em gently and only slight twisting action and they’ll come off cleanly. Dish soap or silicone grease for reinstallation. You can twist all you like on a cold hose.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Heat gun in moderation

In my search I saw a picture of someone who had used a torch to soften the hose. It did not end well. I can't find the picture now but it was kinda funny. I eventually mastered bending hard PVC pipe with a torch but I went through many attempts before I got it right. OK so maybe "mastered" is a little generous - got away with it. I was hoping that none of you guys were going to say a torch. A heat gun is much friendlier.

Thanks,

:-)

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 11-13-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

George,

As it happens, I've got another head pump to pull. Since I was in the neighborhood, I pulled the white Sani-hose from two of my head pumps to the overboard/holding tank valves. I've owned Aslan 4-1/2 years, and this is the first time I've messed with those hoses. They came off cleanly as previously described. I was pleased to note there was no scale buildup as well. I treat the head plumbing with white vinegar about twice a year for 12+/- hours--must be the right recipe.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert can you go into a little more detail on your head vinegar treatment? Do you first flush with fresh water and then just pour the vinegar into the head. We have the same boat, 55C 84. I currently have both the guest and forward head pumps out on my work bench. I was unable to get the large 2" head discharge hoses off the pumps and had to leave them connected to the nose cones. I tried heat, pick, channel locks etc. on the big hoses to no avail. I realize that this is probably OK but since I am doing a complete rebuild and painting of the pumps I would love to get them off. It is almost impossible to reach the hose clamps on the guest discharge. I am considering just replacing both of those large hoses at this time. Any suggestion on what type of hose to use?

Guy Walters
    High Point NC
    Wrightsville beach NC

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Walters View Post
    Robert can you go into a little more detail on your head vinegar treatment? Do you first flush with fresh water and then just pour the vinegar into the head. We have the same boat, 55C 84. I currently have both the guest and forward head pumps out on my work bench. I was unable to get the large 2" head discharge hoses off the pumps and had to leave them connected to the nose cones. I tried heat, pick, channel locks etc. on the big hoses to no avail. I realize that this is probably OK but since I am doing a complete rebuild and painting of the pumps I would love to get them off. It is almost impossible to reach the hose clamps on the guest discharge. I am considering just replacing both of those large hoses at this time. Any suggestion on what type of hose to use?

Guy Walters
    High Point NC
    Wrightsville beach NC
    Guy, I shut off the seacock for that unit and just pour the vinegar in (gallon) and flush almost all of it. Let it sit 24 hours or more if possible. Can't use too much and can't leave it too long.

On your hose, I understand the access. I think you need to go back and use more heat. You may find sludge built-up that you'll definitely want to remove--hammer and chisel type sludge. I measured 2-3/8" ID just now on a spare nose cone. I use wet exhaust hose for mine.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC