Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Salon sectional

Re: Salon sectional

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    IMO every inch of storage space on these boats is worth it's weight in gold. To put in store bought furniture would be giving up a tremendous amount of under-seat storage space. I'd suggest having a set custom built to fit the space and give you ample under-seat storage space whether it be drawers or hinge up seats.

I apologize for other members who may have come across harsh, this is a rough time of season for many of us as the cold creeps in, we tend to be a crabby bunch and slightly into our feelings this time of year lol. I think what they really meant to say was that it would not be a good idea to go to big lots and buy a sectional designed to go in a house, it probably won't fit well and it will look 'odd' plus, like I said, you will give up tons of valuable storage space.

What he said.

My 65 convertible was re-done with a residential high end leather sectional. To keep it below the windows, the legs were removed. However, it is rather nice looking, fits the boat great, and is very comfortable. Been in nasty seas, does not budge. Looks custom, but is not, very large, and no storage under. In fact, there is no good place to store my large custom rods, most sportys have rod storage under the sofas.

To get it into the boat, the Previous owner had to remove the large rear window aft, and paint and re-seal. To change it out I have to repeat the process.

I have talked to Glastop, and picked out an sweet replacement with rod storage, and will pull the trigger this summer, wife is tired of the tackle leaning against guest stateroom birth. Just going to be a lot of work to replace, trying to address other issues with greater priority.

Have a great week,
    Tim
    Fish Tales
    65C

I would like to add another point regarding access to floor hatches.

There are many hatches I am sure that have been covered over by carpeting and furniture especially heavy furniture. This may not always be such a great idea...

Now, I have a 43' boat and access to my engine room and other mechanical spaces are via floor hatches. I have set my boat up where I can get to theses hatches fairly quickly without much effort. I have also added additional floor hatches providing me with access to parts of the bilges, tank hardware, plumbing and electrical etc...

I have made sure that my wife was happy with the floor furniture that we chose together.

There are always compromises especially with boats.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post

There are many hatches I am sure that have been covered over by carpeting and furniture especially heavy furniture. This may not always be such a great idea...

Now, I have a 43' boat and access to my engine room and other mechanical spaces are via floor hatches. I have set my boat up where I can get to theses hatches fairly quickly without much effort. I have also added additional floor hatches providing me with access to parts of the bilges, tank hardware, plumbing and electrical etc...

I have made sure that my wife was happy with the floor furniture that we chose together.

Jon
    Great point there, Jon. I turned down a fabulously clean Viking because access to the ER was though the salon floor. I recall what had to be moved to get access. That spelled out of sight-out of mind. To me, that translated to deferred maintenance and a whole host of negatives. Can't be avoided in a lot of boats. A compromise I couldn't live with I guess.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

RAC, to me that is just prudent. What you can't get to doesn't get maintained. And given your maintenance interest, which we all wish we emulated, I thik it was wise of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Look best to restored as original?? Sure... let’s keep the shaggy 70s carpet, Formica counter tops, and linoleum flooring.

Yes many boats have been ruined with silly interiors suggesting 70s and 80s vintage interior is plain silly

Check out Www.graftonfurniture.com. They work with many boat builders. They made all the couches and sectionals on the 84 Lazzara I run and it s excellent quality
    Who said anything about restoring to original, especially as in shag carpet, Formica, etc?

We're talking salon furniture, and what came in the boat originally had all the features most are agreeing needs to be on a boat. These custom outfits are basically replicating what originally came in the boat, albeit with better materials.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Who said anything about restoring to original, especially as in shag carpet, Formica, etc?

We're talking salon furniture, and what came in the boat originally had all the features most are agreeing needs to be on a boat. These custom outfits are basically replicating what originally came in the boat, albeit with better materials.
    I was replying to Post nr 3 : “ These boats always look best when restored to original”
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Ah, the sexist post.

I’m pretty sure he was talking about the sofa.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post

Jon
    I second Robert’s endorsement of this point. My boat came with the main hatches carpeted over. Changing the port oil filters was a nightmare, and battery maintenance was almost impossible. I ripped up the carpet when replacing batteries, and love it. The boat also came with a pretty low end couch that I would replace except for the fact that it’s fairly light (with all the shore power cords and adapters removed) and easy to move, so I never hesitate to move it and open that hatch. Same goes for the matching chair that sits on the generator hatch. Bonus is that I don’t worry about the grandkids eating ice cream in the salon.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I was replying to Post nr 3 : “ These boats always look best when restored to original”
    Well there's original and then there's original original. Aslan's PO (once removed) tore out her '83 original original interior and remodeled her after a Series II 55 original interior.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 5.03.14 PM.jpg
    Have to say they got it pretty close.
    IMG_0757.jpg
    I toured several original original Hatts before buying Aslan. The unoriginal original suits me better than the original original. However living in Charleston, I'm calling it Neo-original so's not to get booted from the hysterical society.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Not to be sexist but remember it’s a boat not a house. A lot of these great boats have been ruined by an “admiral” who thinks she’s a decorator and playing tit for tat just because the poor husband bought a GPS. These boats always look best when restored to original. Gluing plastic mirrors everywhere and painting the natural wood with pastels sac religious. Just saying!
    It happens to houses too. My friend had an occurrence that he calls "The Lamp Effect" happen to him.

Briefly, his wife decided she wanted a new lamp in the living room. But then the table didn't look right with the lamp on it. Then she needed new chairs to "look right" with the new table,... etc.
    Before he knew it he had a repainted living room with new carpet and all new furniture.

So naturally, his viewpoint was "I should have chucked that new lamp on the street as soon as she started."

Now that's not to say his living room doesn't look nice. But these things have away of snowballing with admirals. After he bought his new pickup truck he also bought a new kitchen. I wonder what his new outboards are going to cost.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375